X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde4-devel breaks Kubuntu 8.04 install?

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and I'm sorry if this has been answered, but i couldn't find anything about it... I tried installing a new plasmoid from kde-looks.org (plasma-am4rok). But for this i need some of the development files for kde4. However, when I try to install kde4-devel or kdebase-dev-kde4, adept says these packages will break my installation. I understand how these things work but I would just really like to know why this happens when I have kde4 installed? By the way, adept says kde4 is not installed (is the kde4 that comes installed with Hardy Heron a different package?) A Kubuntu user should be able to install regular dev files, right? Is this because the versions in the repository are different from the version installed (if yes, why is that? shouldn't they be the same??)

This is not so much a question as it is a bit of a rant but I would like to know why these things should be so complicated

Thanks

Melissa

Re: kde4-devel breaks Kubuntu 8.04 install?

KDE 4.1 is Beta software. Kubuntu 8.04 isn't your villain, it is the KDE 4.1 beta software.

Here's the official Kubuntu procedure for installing KDE 4.1, and I believe you get slightly different results than using the KDE 4 that comes in the "remix" version of the 8.04 CD:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news

I and others have been running KDE 4.1 and playing with it:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3094578.75

As you'll see reviewing that thread, different folks have different levels of success with it. On mine, Alt-F2 doesn't work, and if I run Dolphin or Konqueror and right-click in white space (such as if you were going to do the "Create New" command"), it crashes.

But it was a good rant, anyway ....

Comment

Thanks for answering, but there's one thing I don't understand...

From what i gather, I have kde4.0.5 installed, not kde4.1. So the kde4-devel packages are for which version? Shouldn't they be the same as the version that comes with Kubuntu? I think much of this confusion is because of the awful naming system for kde4, but even if it doesn't work, i would just really like to know which is which and WHY :P

Comment

To get a bit more information:

Using konsole

Simulation

Code:
        sudo apt-get install -s kde4-devel
        man apt-get
        -s, --simulate, --just-print, --dry-run, --recon, --no-act
        No action; perform a simulation of events that would occur but do not actually change the system

Why

Code:
        aptitude why kde4-devel
        or/and
        Code:
        aptitude why-not kde4-devel
        man aptitude
        why, why-not
        Explains the reason that a particular package can or cannot be installed on the system.

> FAQ: Package Managers
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Great answer, Rog!

Here, for kde4-devel, in Adept Manager, it says "candidate version 3.3", and "This metapackage includes official KDE4 modules that are useful to developers, including KDE's software development kit (SDK), Qt4's designer tool, and all core KDE4 header and development packages.", for whatever that is worth.

I installed KDE 4.1 Beta on a clean 8.04 installation, using the method I linked above -- I did not install the 8.04 remix.

Comment

Thanks Rog131!!! Great tip

dibl, thank you again. Maybe I just hadn't understood that the kde4 packages in the repositories are already the 4.1 version. I might as well make the jump since I'm already using 4.0 (and loving it! except for some customization which I believe will be possible with 4.1).

See you around!

Melissa

Comment

Here is a bug report of the kde-devel > kde-devel package broken

It seems that the kde-devel (kde4-devel) package is breaking now and then. The first report is from the edgy and the last is from the gutsy. There is a "ProblemResolver" command to get even more information:

Code:
              $ sudo apt-get install kde4-devel -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=true -o Debug::pkgDepCache::AutoInstall=true
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks, Rog131!

I finally ended up installing kde 4.1 and boy, was it worth it! Most of the bugs I had were solved and I get updates more often. I know it will break eventually but it's been really good...

Thank you guys!

Comment

Working...
                X