This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Steam Games Be Installed

Hello i am new to kubuntu . can you tell me if steam our valve games can be played on this new version of kubuntu 8.04.1 desktop-amd64,yes our no. thanks

Re: Can Steam Games Be Installed

Steam: The Nexus of PC Gaming

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Windows 2000, XP or Vista
    64 MB RAM
    400 Mhz processor
    1GB HD space (recommended)
    Internet connection (broadband recommended)

Unless you install a suitable VM (virtual machine) software in Linux, such as Virtualbox or VMWare Player in which you install one of the listed Windoze OS to be run as a 'virtual machine', the answer to your question is 'no.'

Updated 08 July 2008: I have to retract my 'absolute' statement above. I had totally forgotten about Wine. As I don't use it, I didn't even consider it when I saw the specifications.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I run the orange box under wine, working is half life 1 source, half life 2 and half life episode 1. Episode 2 gives an error about direct x which many windooze users also report.
      Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

can confirm mate wine and steam run fine us it my self the install guide is at the wine-hq website if you look in app supported area it will tell you what works and how to install i did what they said and it was all working 3 mins later

Comment

@skedone, exactly what error do you get from episode 2?
          Mine is something like 'you must have at least dx 8 to play this game'.
          Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

yep same error message for me mate

Comment

Working...
            X