This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't plan .mov files

I've got everything I can think of updated, including w32codecs and Medibuntu repositories and updates, and I can't play .mov files. I can play WMV, MPG, and AVI but with .MOV I get:
    1. Click on .MOV file to launch Kaffeine 0.8.6
    -goes into Kaffeine codec installer>"codec package is already installed" infinite loop.
    2. Right click .MOV file and select Open with...Mplayer movie player
    -get error! "Cannot find codec for audio format 0x32414D57
    3. Right click .MOV file and select Open with...VLC media player
    -VLC opens and the progress slider moves but there's no video and no audio
    4. Right click .MOV file and select Open with...KMPlayer
    -using "play with Xine" I get a brief moment of "Player Xine buffering" but then goes to not running
    -using "play with Ice Ape" I get nothing
    -using "play with mplayer" I get a moment of "Player mplayer buffering" but then goes to not running
    -using "play with gstreamer" I get nothing

So VLC gives no errors but nothing shows up. KMplayer tries but nothing shows up.

Thing is, I can play Quicktime trailers with the Mplayer plugin for Firefox 3. So I don't know what the deal is with .MOV files from the filesystem.

Re: Can't plan .mov files

If you download one of the trailers that plays in firefox, will it play in mplayer from the filesystem? Quicktime movies are hit-and-miss for me. Try using the "file" command to determine what you can about Quicktime movies that play and what might be different about the ones that don't.
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Re: Can't plan .mov files

I got the Quicktime moves to play using the VLC media player and the MediaPlayerConnectiviy plugin for Firefox 3. I used /usr/bin/wxvlc as the link to the player. That is the only way I could get them to play.

Comment

Working...
      X