Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Hardy Heron (Latest Version) and KDE 4 Remix (Latest Version)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between Hardy Heron (Latest Version) and KDE 4 Remix (Latest Version)

Difference between Hardy Heron (Latest Version) and KDE 4 Remix (Latest Version)?
    Hardy Heron (Latest Release)
    0%
    KDE 4 Remix (Latest Release)
    0%
    Equally Stable
    0%
    Not Sure
    0%

Re: Difference between Hardy Heron (Latest Version) and KDE 4 Remix (Latest Version)

Pretty simple, really. A Kubuntu Hardy Heron uses KDE 3.5.9 as its desktop environment, whereas the Remix is a special 'respin' using the new KDE 4 (4.01 I think), as a preview of how the latest and greatest is developing.

The best way to check out KDE4 imo is to use a normal Hardy install and add in the much newer 4.1rc1 packages as those are much more current and stable., while you still keep your stable KDE3 base if you wish.

And even another option is to try out Project Neon's nightly kde4 packages, which are less stable as they are using the latest unreleased code, but will have newer features and bug fixes.

Luckily, you can run all these together as you get a separate login entry for each one and they don't conflict with each other.

Comment

Re: Difference between Hardy Heron (Latest Version) and KDE 4 Remix (Latest Version)

kde 4 working stable as kde 3.5 for me

Comment

i have the 8.04 , how do i upgrade to KDE4 please?

Comment

if you visit the link in my last post above, you will get the information you will need to install kde4 in Hardy

Comment

Originally posted by powerbits
            i have the 8.04 , how do i upgrade to KDE4 please?
            I'll nod to this. 4.0.1 was kind of rocky. I was having a few problems.. but 4.1.0 just takes the cake for me. I use it every day.

Comment

I just upgraded the whole system from kde 3.5 to kde 4.1 - i reinstalled from the kde 4 remix cd, then did upgrade to kde 4.1
              (I did this to avoid having any legacy 3.5 on the system, I didn't want any clashes between old 3.5 app and the new 4.1 app)

I find that kde 4.1 is very solid, and in my opinion is better than 3.5:
              1) Faster
              2) I saw less bugs
              3) The UI is by far better than 3.5

Comment

Working...
              X