This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept notifier announces unavailable upgrades

Adept notifier just notified me of five upgrades. When I clicked on the notifier, it began downloading files. However, the final result was they were not available for upgrade, at least not through Adept. The were listed in gold lettering with the words "upgradable". Clicking on them did not result in any further action. The upgrades were:

base-files.....upgradable
    libdvdcss2.....upgradable
    libsmbclient.....upgradable
    samba-common.....upgradable
    smbclient.....upgradable

The only file of these that I really recognize is libdvdcss2, which is installed. I just played a dvd with kaffeine, for example.

I have universe, restricted and medibuntu repositories available. So Adept becomes aware of these upgrades, but they are not available in any of the repositories? Can someone explain this? Thanks.
    ~George
    Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
    Linux user #347469

Re: Adept notifier announces unavailable upgrades

libsmbclient.....upgradable
    samba-common.....upgradable
    smbclient.....upgradable

in terminal

aptitude search libsamba
    aptitude search samba-common
    aptitude search smbclient

They are in mine - did you try searching adept? I use synaptic in kde it's easier for a gui that is to search and install items from the ubuntu repos.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Well, I did try to search adept; and yes, they were in mine as well. But when I tried to upgrade them, they stayed "upgradable", there was no "apply changes" button, and they did not upgrade.

Synaptic, though, I had forgotten about that. I searched for, and marked each of the five apps for upgrade. Synaptic found them all and upgraded them successfully. I then went back to adept, and they were marked "installed" (green) this time, instead of just "upgradable" (yellow).

Thank you. Problem solved. They also no longer show up in the adept notifier, which was what I was hoping for.
      ~George
      Linux user #347469

Comment

KDE 3.5.x or KDE 4.x ?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

How do I determine the version of kde? I searched in adept, I see kde4 says "not installed". So I guess it's 3.
          ~George
          Linux user #347469

Comment

that and just right click on the kicker - help - about kde and it should show it in big bold letters at the top.
            Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Right click on the kicker. Thanks, it's 3.5.9. I'm wondering if I should install kde4?

Wow! I see that adept notifier is telling me I now have 29 updates. But, as soon as I click on it, it's going to try to update those 29 packages without telling me what they are. Is there any way to see what the updates are beforehand?
              ~George
              Linux user #347469

Comment

Sure -- there's a "Preview Changes" or something like that, right beside the "Fetch" button.

Comment

The updater first pulls in the updated package 'information - headers.' It doesn't install anything until you click the Apply button.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. Before, I probably did hit "Apply Changes", but somehow forget and thought it happened automatically. Must keep both hands on the keyboard at all times.

Just out of curiosity, Snowhog, I see you're running both KDE 3.5.9 and 4.1. Any improvements or problems in upgrading to KDE 4.1 in Hardy?
                    ~George
                    Linux user #347469

Comment

Originally posted by MoeNeigh
                      Just out of curiosity, Snowhog, I see you're running both KDE 3.5.9 and 4.1. Any improvements or problems in upgrading to KDE 4.1 in Hardy?
                      In installed HH Remix - I didn't upgrade from 3.5.9. I use HH 3.5.9 as my primary OS, booting into the other two occasionally to get updates installed. Up until recently, I wasn't impressed with all the non-functionality of 4.1. But the last 'major' update made it much more useable. I'm looking forward to the 'final' release.

Comment

Working...
                      X