This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k3b error on cd/dvd-rw (and now with any cd/dvd media) with data

Wanting to save copies of my documents I started k3b, inserted dvd-rw and highlighted the directories to be written.
    Mainly openoffice documents, but a some pdf's, jpg, and a variety (~1G) of ogg and mp3 files.

This is the error I receive...and this happens now with any media...(data re-sized to fit media)

"Could not determine size of resulting image file"

I am not trying to save any image file, I am trying to save data...

This is not the first time failing at using dvd-rw...but I want this solved!

...any ideas?
    ...what info do I need to supply?
    dell xps m1330 2G ram
    kubuntu 8.04
    Mat...a dvd+ - rw uj-857g

God Bless
    Doug
    Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Re: k3b error on cd/dvd-rw (and now with any cd/dvd media) with data

Try enabling medibuntu going to how to.
    Then apt-get autoremove k3b
    then reinstall k3b installing recommended and optional files as well to enable mp3 etc in k3b.
    Do all this in terminal as sudo or root.
    Best
    El Zorro
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

ElZorro,

Thanks for your reply... some questions...

I already have medibuntu in my repositories, one of the first things I did with kubuntu.
      I had already earlier completely removed and reinstalled k3b.
      I did not do this in terminal but with synaptic, which of course is accessed with a password (as sudo). Is this really different?
      I do not know what you mean about "installing recommended and optional files as well to enable mp3 etc in k3b"

God Bless
      Doug
      Malachi 3:10 ESV <br />...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...<br /><br />Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy

Comment

Doing the uninstall-install in the terminal is better as it shows all the install options including Suggested and recommended extra files.
        If you do not do this K3b is not as competent.
        You will find the terminal in system.
        You can do sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get autoremove k3b
        sudo apt-get install k3b
        and it will then give recommended and optional files.
        you can then sudo apt-get install copy and pasted files.

If you get tired of all the sudo's
        sudo passwd root
        passwd user password
        enter new unix password new root password
        twice

then su root in terminal
        gives root terminal with root password
        then no more sudo's required for that session.
        best
        el zorro
        It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

ElZorro,

Thank you for the wonderful, kind, explicit directions...but even after following all the steps with removing, installing k3b and all recommended and suggested packages with terminal and apt-get. I then re-started k3b used a fresh, blank dvd-rw and even with a re-start, I am getting the same error.
          I was not burning anything this time but text documents, pdf, jpg, d/l webpages...but no music, video or iso files.

God Bless
          Doug

Comment

Still is not working...although with my opensuse 11 partition on this same laptop k3b works just fine with dvd-rw; doing repeated multi-session burns on the same dvd-rw...

...help...kubuntu...
            you are about to lose a customer!

God Bless
            Doug

Comment

My guess.
              When you burn a CD/DVD, before you actually burn, k3b generates a ISO file.
              After this file being generated, then burn process is started.

I believe what happen in your case is: the partition where this ISO file is placed (usually in /tmp) may be full filled. So your ISO file is not totally completed, indeed is corrupted, so k3b cannot determine its size.

Of course, I'm wandering. Please, may you provide the output for the command line bellow?
              Code:
              df -h

Comment

df -h
                Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                /dev/sda1 9.8G 4.4G 5.0G 47% /
                varrun 1009M 176K 1009M 1% /var/run
                varlock 1009M 0 1009M 0% /var/lock
                udev 1009M 64K 1009M 1% /dev
                devshm 1009M 0 1009M 0% /dev/shm
                lrm 1009M 39M 970M 4% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
                /dev/sda3 71G 11G 58G 16% /home

ah...since /tmp is in sda1 (root) and I have just 5G left there? Is that the problem?

God Bless
                Doug

Comment

Probably yes.
                  I know k3b allows to set where the ISO temp file will be created. I believe that's the Image tab, just after you press 'burn'
                  Try changing that to your /home partition -> that's pretty free.

Tell us if works. Good luck

Comment

I went to the settings>configure k3b>misc tab to change the path to a /home directory. It was automatically changed in the image tab under burn, however it was greyed out. I could make out that it was showing 53G of free space and that the iso would only be 643megs. When I pushed burn, I received the same error as before: 'Could not determine size of resulting image file.'

Would extra long file names cause a problem, I have some files with names of 60 characters (not including extension)?

God Bless
                    Doug

ps...although these same files were handled through k3b and opensuse...!?!

Comment

new ...

k3b finally saved to a dvd-rw, but only after I installed Brasero and used it to save files to the dvd-rw FIRST. (but on a second attempt to add more to the dvd-rw with k3b I again got the same error...!

Brasero is handling the burning just fine...

God Bless
                      Doug

Comment

Working...
                      X