Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KMail: how to display HTML mail as text?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail: how to display HTML mail as text?

Hi.

I am wondering whether it is possible to configure KMail so it displays HTML mail as text?

I am asking because (1) I've always hated HTML mail, and (2) I use a dark KDE colour scheme where the mail body text is in white and the background is dark grey. The second is the more serious reason. Almost all my friends and co-workers use Outlook (duh!), which uses dark blue for the reply text. Dark blue letters against the black background means it's totally illegible!

If KMail doesn't have the capability to display HTML mail as text, is there at least a way to override the HTML colouring so text will be displayed in the colour specified as foreground text in KDE?

TIA,
    Dai
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Re: KMail: how to display HTML mail as text?

By default, KMail should display rec'd email as text (doing otherwise introduces security risks). Open KMail and click on Settings > Configure KMail > Security
    On the Reading Tab > HTML Messages ensure that Prefer HTML to text is not checked.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      By default, KMail should display rec'd email as text (doing otherwise introduces security risks). Open KMail and click on Settings > Configure KMail > Security
      On the Reading Tab > HTML Messages ensure that Prefer HTML to text is not checked.
      You're the man! I somehow had the "Prefer HTML to text" option checked. Where is my brain?

Thanks!
      Dai

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KMail: how to display HTML mail as text?

Cool. 8)

Glad to have been able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] KMail: how to display HTML mail as text?

Cool. 8)

Glad to have been able to point you in the right direction.
          I may have spoken too soon. No, there's nothing wrong with your suggestion. It's just that some mail now won't display correctly saying:

This message contains a rich-text HTML portion. Consult your mail client's documentation for infomation on how to view it.
          I wonder if this "rich-text HTML portion" is the culprit? If so, how should I go about displaying it correctly?

Thanks again...
          Dai

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Within the rec'd email message that contains html coding, you should see the following message within a red box:
            Note: This is an HTML message. For security reasons, only the raw HTML code is shown. If you trust the sender of this message then you can activate formatted HTML display for this message by clicking here.
            Clicking on the hyperlink opens the email in html

Comment

Within the rec'd email message that contains html coding, you should see the following message within a red box:
              Note: This is an HTML message. For security reasons, only the raw HTML code is shown. If you trust the sender of this message then you can activate formatted HTML display for this message by clicking here.
              Clicking on the hyperlink opens the email in html
              No, I did not get that prompt at all. The HTML mail I sent to myself using Outlook 2003 showed up as if it were text mail on KMail. Then this mail I received from Facebook had the warning I quoted above. No link to click on.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
              X