This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmodmap and customized keyboard layouts

I've new to Kubuntu, have used Linspire for about five years. I'm still not that knowledgeable about Linux, but have delved into specific areas that interest me. One is customized keyboards. I can load a keyboard to type in most western languages and the layout is one that I'm comfortable in typing on. I have also created a Russian keyboard layout that I'm comfortable with.

The right-alt key would normally load level 3, so alt "a" would load acute a, and so forth. Shift + right-alt would load the capital letters usually or other special characters. Now the right-alt key functions no differently than the left-alt key. So I'm wondering if some update or some software I downloaded could have changed this. There should be an option somewhere that would reset this right-alt key action, but I can't find it. And, it was working perfectly. Then all of a sudden it was not. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    ~George
    Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
    Linux user #347469

Re: Xmodmap and customized keyboard layouts

Have you checked K Menu > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts ?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog, I had already checked that. But I found out after googling a little bit that others had experienced this same problem. They mentioned SCIM and an update to xserver-xorg, and a bug has been reported. However, I did find an alternate way to rework my keyboards by simply backing up the US Alternate International keyboard, then rearranging the keys the way I would want to type them. I'll be working on the Russian one today.

This has been a pain at first, but after a little bit of cursing, I turned around and decided to enjoy the mental stimulation this problem has afforded me.
      ~George
      Linux — leaping tall "Bill-dings" in a single bound!
      Linux user #347469

Comment

Good to hear that you have a 'work around' for this. I can appreciate both, the 'pain' as well as the 'mental challenge' such an endever can present.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X