This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple versions of Kernel in grub

I have multiple versions of kernel in grub. If I goto addept and type in "linux" in the search box, will that bring up all the kernels loaded on my machine? I can then removed them.

I just want the lasted version of the kernel on my machine
    Powered by Linux!

Re: Multiple versions of Kernel in grub

You ca safely remove older kernel versions but I would always keep the second to last version as a "safety" just in case you happen to bork your running kernel for some reason

I do it all the time (well used to) and it is great to be able to reboot the system and do some repairs

Edit: as for grub just open u /etc/boot/grub/menu.lst and comment out or delete the kernel entries that "offend" you.

You can also use a tool like kgrubeditor (in the repos) to edit / fine tune grub menu
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjrwingnut

I just want the lasted version of the kernel on my machine
      Just open Adept Manager, scroll down to the "linux" section of the list, and mark the older kernels for removal.

Hint: It is very wise to also keep the "next to latest" kernel. You may not want to boot it, but one day you may need to boot it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Hint: It is very wise to also keep the "next to latest" kernel. You may not want to boot it, but one day you may need to boot it.
        One always wants another way into ones home. If you leave yourself only one door (no other means of entry into your home), and the lock fails, you remain out in the cold. Keeping the 'last known working kernel' on your system, and the stanza for it still in your grub menu.lst ensures that you will be able to boot should something happen to the 'newest' kernel you are using.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X