X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XFCE 4.4.2 not working part 2

Hi,

I installed xfce4 and it all went well until i logged out of kde and then into an xfce4 session-all I got was a blue screen (i am afraid of death) and a mouse cursor; no panel icons or menus it just loaded a wallpaper and crashed.

I had to use cntr/alt/bkspace to get back to kdm login.

Any ideas?

2) Downloaded xfce 4.4.2 source (latest version) and installed to /opt/xfce4. It all compiled and installed without a problem- you have to install the development packages and set the pkgconfig and PATH environment variables. In ld.so.conf.d/ just a text file 'xfce4.conf' with /opt/xfce4/lib as the contents.

Having installed all the packages xfce4.4.2 still crashes at start as do the ubuntu deb of packages:

startxfce4 looks for a few things and then uses the file /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to startup. For more control you can try using your own xinitrc file in ~/.xfce4/xinitrc however it will still crash.

Using the default startup you get the xfce4 splash as it starts, a blue wallpaper and mouse pointer and thats it. Trying ~/.xfce4/xinitrc xfce4 just crashes and returns to kdm login.

I had xfce4.2 working no problem why the startup problems with 4.4.2?

Re: XFCE4 not working

Originally posted by davidlondon
    I installed xfce4 . . .
    What did you install and how did you install it? The easiest way to install a fully configured XFCE desktop on a ?buntu system is to use your favourite package manager and install xubuntu-desktop.
    Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

Working...
    X