Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adept :“There was an error committing changes.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept :“There was an error committing changes.......

I got this message again and need a new fix as the old one didn't work as before.
    Here is the error:

“There was an error committing changes. There was possibly a problem downloading some packages, or else the commit would break packages.”

This is the fix that worked before but not this time.
    $ sudo bash
    # wget -O folder_list.txt http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...6&d=1175696100
    # cat folder_list.txt | xargs touch
    # cd /usr/share/fonts/truetype
    # for i in * ; do touch ${i}; done
    # cd /var/lib/defoma/fontconfig.d
    # for i in * ; do touch ${i}; done
    # apt-get dist-upgrade

Can anyone help?
    harecanada
    harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Re: Adept :“There was an error committing changes.......

Whenever there is a problem with installing or adept/synaptic crashed, your first port of call is this command on the command line:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    What does it say? Everything working again or do you get some error. If so, please post.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hey Toad,
      I tried "sudo apt-get install -f" before but it didn't lead to a solution. Then I tried something weird. I'm running Kubuntu Hardy and I use Adept but I also have Synaptic Package Manager(I think it is used in Ubuntu instead of Adept and vise versa) Anyway, I opened Synaptic and it gives me a similar error to Adept error and says to run " Fix Broken Packages " located in the "Edit" drop down window of Synaptic. I ran it and it handles the problem!! I don't see how it could do this but I don't have the problem with Adept anymore. I tried it twice just to make sure it was a stable fix and so far so good.
      Thanks for the help .
      harecanada
      harecanada<br />Running Kubuntu Hardy Heron<br />Dell Inspiron 531<br />500 gb HD<br />3 gb RAM

Comment

Also,Toad,
        This all came about because I was trying to run Google Earth.
        1)Are you running it?
        2) how did you install it?
        harecanada

Comment

GoogleEarth? Go to www.medibuntu.org, follow their instructions and use adept or synaptic to download it. Ask in case of any questions...
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
          X