This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing themes

For some reason, when I install themes from kdelook.org I can't get a preview or they just don't show up when I use kcontrol and verify that they have a kth extention. I'm running both kde 3.59 and 4 but my problem is limited to kde3. Is there something I'm missing out?

P.S. I'm running the x86_64 if that helps (not that it should make a difference, I'd think).
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Re: Installing themes

It's not your or Kubuntu's fault - just that the creator couldn't be bothered to take a screenshot. It is a little bit of a pain but a properly designed theme should really have one...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I can live with the no screenshot problem, but they just don't work for me. Even the highest rated and most downloaded ones don't work. Others say it works and stuff like that, I'm just not sure if it's me that's doing something wrong or I need a clean re-install.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

Give me a link to one which should work but doesn't and I'll try it as well...
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

There seems to be a bug in the KDM theme manager.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...gs/+bug/157252

Comment

I don't think Princey is talking about kdm themes. If my memory serves me well they don't come in kth form (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Comment

These theme files are sort of configuration files, so if you do not have icons or that specific window decoration it won't be applied.

let's take for example this cool theme:
              http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=55703

... oh wait, it won't open in kcontrol with mouse click, is that known bug or this theme file is corrupted?

ok let's take another theme:
              http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=60013

... ok there is a bug in kubuntu it seems, kth files won't open with mouseclick. This theme file has configuration, two system sounds and wallpaper. Everything else you can see in preview has to be downloaded and installed separately.

there are many interesting kde customizations that don't use theme file, for example my favorite:
              http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=52721

anyways, real men put their desktop together themselves

Comment

Alright, you made me do it!

Here is the theme I downloaded: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=78217

One of the few with .kth I found. I installed it just now and don't recognise my bleeding desktop anymore! Anyway, it worked

Thank God that I saved my own theme beforehand!

Which I just reinstalled and now I can find my way round again...

Try it, Princey. If this doesn't work for you we've got to look somewhere else...

Comment

Thanks guys for the answers. I'm not home and won't be home for a few more days. The bug listed by one of the posters does show up with me. However, I'll give the suggestions a go once I get home.

Comment

Princey@
                    Please verify for all which themes you are referring to: KDM Login themes, Desktop Themes, or Splashscreen Themes.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Princey@
                      Please verify for all which themes you are referring to: KDM Login themes, Desktop Themes, or Splashscreen Themes.
                      Desktop themes. The splashscreen and kdm login themes work fine. It's the desktop ones that seem finicky.
                      Current System: Beelink Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 8 Core(Up to 4.4GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM 1TB NVME M.2 SSD, SER5 MAX Mini Desktop Computer with TCL BeyondTV5 serving as my monitor. ​

Comment

Try the link for the desktop theme which I posted. It should work fine on 8.04!

Comment

Working...
                        X