Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 Kscreensavers still can be Deadly! But Card Dependent.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 Kscreensavers still can be Deadly! But Card Dependent.

Hi
    I again made the mistake of activating the screensavers as random.----Problem was--Gibabyte Gforce 8400 GS nvidia card.
    Left the system for a couple of hours and it was Dead as a Doornail, with a silly frozen screensaver image, namely Particle Fountain GL, looking at me. Other screensavers do it too, eg fireworks, so now blank screen only and hope this can't freeze.
    Only a reset was possible, system was not responding to anything and lost some stuff I was doing grr.

So beware Hardy screensavers in KDE 3.5.9 are deadly eye candy that should not be installed as
    they are. They should be pulled from the repos until they are fixed.----

Sorry I am a bit peeved about being caught out yet again in Hardy.
    Best
    El Zorro

It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 screensavers still Deadly!

I feel the same way about it! this has been going on ever since Feisty. I have tried every recommendation in every post in this forum about getting the KDE screensavers working and nothing works. After the screensaver runs for awhile it locks up the sytem and I have to raise skinny elephants to get it back.

I think it may be an issue with Nvidia. I have three other computers that the screensaver works perfectly on, and the only difference is that none of the other computers has Nvidia graphics.

ElZorro, are you by any chance using a Nvidia card and driver?

I'm using xcreensaver on this machine and it works perfectly.

Comment

Re: Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 Kscreensavers still Deadly!

Yup,
      it may be aggravated by the fact I recently put an nvidia card in the machine, but kscreensavers also seized up and spat the dummy on a radeon x300 also.
      I will not be able to uninstall ksreensaver as you lose heaps , as it is intimate with heaps of proggies, but will try xscreensavers as you mention.
      Lot of things they never seem to fix- the Konqueror issue not able to resize eg Wikepedia pages festers on as well through many iterations of Kubuntu despite error reports ad nauseam.
      This is where "Debian just works", shines through, even in Lenny or unstable such basics always seem OK.
      I don't know what they do to KDE packages at Kubuntu, they can certainly render Debian packages less than optimal sometimes.
      Guess they (the developers) run too much in the fast lane at (K)ubuntu with releases, in fact they never seem to rest, and sometimes forget some basic things.

Cheers
      El Zorro
      It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

Re: Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 Kscreensavers still Deadly!Talk about sudden system death!!!

Oh well,
        Perhaps I am just talking to myself?---
        the developers seem to take no heed?-----

For the record, I dare you to try it with an nvidia card anyway.
        1. Just touch your mouse pointer on "galaxy" in flying things in right click ---configure desktop---screensavers.
        Kills the system STONE DEAD in a split second---lethal poison and more spectacular than Uncle Bills Blue screen of DEATH.

2.Some GL series of screensavers are death too especially particle fountain, though not immediate as above but after an incubation period.

3. The xsreensaver seems better

Just for the record .------
        Not very becoming behavior for LTS stuff I must say.
        Hope KDE 3.5.9 basics are fixed before we go galloping off to KDE 4, or at least pull offending ksceensavers out of the KDE 3.5.9 package if they cannot be fixed. Perhaps ask Debian for advice, as they have kscreensavers tamed I think.
        Use the Random setting at your own risk.

Best
        El Zorro 8)

Comment

Re: Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 Kscreensavers still Deadly!Talk about sudden system death!!!

I must say I empathise with the post below so please fix KDE3.5.9 which works much better.
          Hope KDE4.whatever allows us to go back to a classic 3.5.x view, which is much better minus widgets and all that nasty vistoid fuzz.
          Cheers
          El Zorro 8)

67GTA
          Always Learning

Anyone else hate KDE4?
          « on: March 29, 2008, 11:23:34 am »
          I hate to say it because I've been a KDE fan for years, and I've always hated Gnome, but KDE4 sucks. I just tried the Kubuntu beta live CD. That was a waste of 700MB. They are purposely trying to copy Vista. I don't like the widget idea at all. I want a normal desktop with icons. Why would they destroy desktop usability? I tried to copy and paste a .deb package from my usb stick to the desktop, and it turned it into a widget. It wasn't installable anymore. I guess
          Code:

dpkg -i

doesn't know how to install widgets Huh I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I know that more features will come in later versions, but I can't stand the base they are going to build on. I have waited for the beta to try it, thinking that it would be awesome. Now I don't know where I will go after KDE 3.5 disappears. I can't see myself using KDE4 unless some of the KDE3 usability comes back. I feel a little better now. Flame away Grin

Comment

No flames from me!

I tried "4".
            I'm staying with 3.5.9.

Comment

Just one person's observation here.

I have been using Kubuntu Hardy for over a month. I have not had a single instance of the KDE screensaver locking up or freezing my computer. Not once. I let the screensaver kick in after 5 minutes of inactivity, so I'd say it takes over the desktop pretty frequently. I also have an nVidia graphics card (GeForce 6200, to be exact).

Originally posted by ElZorro
              For the record, I dare you to try it with an nvidia card anyway.
              1. Just touch your mouse pointer on "galaxy" in flying things in right click ---configure desktop---screensavers.
              Kills the system STONE DEAD in a split second---lethal poison and more spectacular than Uncle Bills Blue screen of DEATH.
              I did. I was expecting something exciting, but nothing happened. My system is still up and running just fine. I repeated the process five times just to be sure, to no avail. No freeze, no crash.
              Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
              Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Re: Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 Kscreensavers still Deadly!Talk about sudden system deat

I just leave the stupid GLX screensavers alone. Default Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 4.1 Beta goes to black after some period of time, and comes back when I touch the mouse. No problem.

Comment

That's whats so mystifying about the problem. It affects some computers, but not others. I also have a Gforce 6200 so I guess that's not the problem. So what is? I've just learned to accept it, and use xscreensavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                    That's whats so mystifying about the problem. It affects some computers, but not others. I also have a Gforce 6200 so I guess that's not the problem. So what is? I've just learned to accept it, and use xscreensavers.
                    Are you using the Ubuntu restricted driver for your nVidia card, or the open-source "nv" driver? My experience above comes from the use of the restricted driver. That may be where the difference lies.
                    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

I use the restricted Nvidia driver, but it doesn't matter. And I did not want to turn this thread into a screensaver troubleshooter, that's already been done in several other threads. As I said, I just don't use it.

Comment

Re: Hardy 32 KDE 3.5.9 Kscreensavers still Deadly!But Card Dependent.

Hi
                        Removed the (1) gigabyte Geforce 8400GS nvidia and replaced with (2) a Palit Gfoce 8600GT super nvidia,
                        and all was well even flying things galaxy,
                        So the glitch was card dependent, yet the first card has no problems with the Debian Lenny screensavers, only Hardy.
                        Really weird, its like politics, 'can't keep all of the people(cards) happy all of the time'------ but thats how it is.
                        The machine does not use the accelerated driver, so far I don't trust them as I had to rescue a system that tried the ATI accelerated driver, and had really trashed xorg.config, and unable to startx.
                        Best
                        El Zorro 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X