X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install flashplayer 9

I tried to install flashplayer 9 but I got the following message:

flashplayer-installer: Permission denied

How do I gain access to it? I'm not too experienced in Linux so exact directions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: Can't install flashplayer 9

Open the Konsole.

Enter
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    Accept the installation question.

Close Konsole. You are done.

Comment

Okay. I tried it and I got a message that I already have the latest version installed. The problem is that I still can't see any YouTube videos or access any website that uses the flashplayer. When I did go to YouTube, however, it said that I either have javascript turned off or I have an old version of flashplayer. When I checked Firefox's add-ons, it showed that I have Shockwave Flash (9.0 revision 115) installed. I did check Firefox's preferences and it shows that I have both Java and Javascript enabled. Any ideas?

Comment

What tells Adobe test page ?

More: FAQ: Adobe flash
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Still no go with flashplayer. Using the Konsole, I manually copied libflashplayer.so to my /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins directory. Using Dolphin, I confirmed that the file is in that directory. When I loaded firefox, I still couldn't get any YouTube videos. I then copied the file to /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins, just in case I put it in the wrong directory. Still nothing. I typed "aboutlugins" in the addressbar and it doesn't show up. When I click on "Tools/Add ons", it's not listed. What am I missing here? Any additional suggestions are highly appreciated.

Comment

Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit Kubuntu? Which Kubuntu, 8.04?

Comment

I'm running 32 bit Kubuntu 8.04. Could there be some problem with permissions?

Comment

If aboutlugins says it's installed, then it must be installed. Although most of the videos on YouTube play on mine, occasionally one won't play. If it's a video I really want to see, I download it and open it in VLC. That always seems to work. There is an extension available for FF called "Download Helper" which identifies and let's you download video from any site. There is another extension for FF called "Media Player Connectivity" which lets you control which external program you want to use to open multimedia links, but it has not been upgraded for FF3 yet.

Did you go to the Flash test site as suggested by Rog131? What happened there?

Comment

According to aboutlugins, the flashplayer is not installed. On the Adobe test page, it says to "click here for the plugin" under the Adobe Shockwave player heading. Under the Adobe Flashplayer heading, there is nothing.

Comment

Ok, let's try this one more time.

Open a terminal and type
                    sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree

Then:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

That should get rid of the old flashplugin files, then reinstall it in its proper locations.
                    When you installed Firefox you did install it from the repositories didn't you?

Comment

One more thing, I just remembered I had a problem with jre not showing up in aboutlugins, and it turns out it was installed but disabled. Click on Tools, Add-ons, open the Plugins tab and see if the falshplugin is listed. If it is there but greyed out, click on it and click Enable.

Comment

Progress has been made. This time, the plugin was installed. When I checked "aboutlugins", it states that "Shockwave Flash 9.0 r115" is enabled. Isn't the latest version r124?

Comment

I believe so, but shockwave and java are a couple of plugins that don't get updated for Linux users to often
                          The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse who always gets the cheese.

Comment

I notice that, with all the latest updates applied, the version on my 32 bit install is 115 and the version on my 64 bit install is 124.

Comment

So, it sounds like I don't have any recourse other than to wait for an update for the 32 bit version from Adobe. >

Comment

Working...
                              X