This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice Writer crashes on launch since update

This morning I installed the Firefox 3 update along with an OpenOffice update. Since then, whenever I open Writer I get the file recovery dialog box. The file it is supposedly trying to recover is "Untitled1." Whether I allow the "recovery" or just cancel is irrelevant. Either action leads to the program starting to draw its window and then crashing.

I've tried reinstalling Writer, then OpenOffice in Adept. Even a complete removal and reinstallation via Synaptic doesn't help. I've tried removing my .openoffice.org2 directory with all my settings, to no avail. I'm not seeing anything in the logs, either.

Oddly enough, if I open a document (instead of just opening the program), it seems to work fine. And the program works ok for other users on the same machine.

Ideas?
    I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Re: OpenOffice Writer crashes on launch since update

I'm having the same trouble. I can open calc or math, but all other oo programs (writer, impress, draw, base) crash. The window will display for a brief time (1/2 second), then disappear. I also get the document recovery window, but not every time.

Even in writer or impress, I can open documents, but they crash eventually.

This is a real problem. I can't do any work!

Comment

Sorry to hear that you're also affected, but it is good to know that I'm not the ONLY one!

Does anyone know what the update was supposed to be for? Or where I would look for that info?

Is there a way to "back out" the update?
      I distrust morning people, largely because I suspect them of getting together early one day while the rest of us were asleep and setting up the rules of civilization.

Comment

why don't you try. Koffice instead.
        or Just remove open office completely and fresh install.

Comment

Hmmmm. It isn't a generic problem with OOO, because I just finished updating an OOO spreadsheet from information on a web site, and I'm running FF3 with all updates, and I have not seen any instability with OOO spreadsheet or writer.

Comment

Inzi2u, I've already tried reinstalling OO with no effect. And nice as Koffice is, I'm used to OO and have a lot of OO documents.

Dibl, as Code-Breaker noted, some modules of OO work fine. I don't think FF3 has any effect on this, it's probably the OO update. I just wondered where I can find out what was changed.

Comment

Working...
            X