This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can not safely remove usb drive after updates from 6/16

I can not right click on my usb drive and "safely remove" my usb drive after adept updates from 6/16. Could the Kernel updates have caused this? Has anybody else had this problem?

Re: can not safely remove usb drive after updates from 6/16

Originally posted by roadrunner58
    I can not right click on my usb drive and "safely remove" my usb drive after adept updates from 6/16. Could the Kernel updates have caused this? Has anybody else had this problem?
    What kind of error message do you get now?

WFM (works for me)... I've got the latest stable packages on my Hardy including the kernel.
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

There is no error message. Right clicking on the usb drive and then selecting "safely remove" does not remove the usb drive from my desktop. If I manually remove the usb drive from my usb hub the drive is removed from my desktop.

Comment

When that happens, try opening Konqueror > Storage Media and right-clicking & Safely Remove from there. One usually works (either at the Desktop or in Storage Media).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          When that happens, try opening Konqueror > Storage Media and right-clicking & Safely Remove from there. One usually works (either at the Desktop or in Storage Media).
          Thanks for the help, neither one works on this computer for me.

Comment

There is no error message. Right clicking on the usb drive and then selecting "safely remove" does not remove the usb drive from my desktop. If I manually remove the usb drive from my usb hub the drive is removed from my desktop.
            What happens if you plug your USB drive directly into the computer instead of via a hub? I'm kinda shooting in the dark, but I somehow wonder if the hub could be an issue.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Originally posted by daihard
              What happens if you plug your USB drive directly into the computer instead of via a hub? I'm kinda shooting in the dark, but I somehow wonder if the hub could be an issue.
              I tried that last night. It is not the hub.

Comment

This is happening to me too. There used to be a message along the lines of: Storage device removed, but could not be ejected. Now nothing happens and the icon remains on the desktop. This happens in d3lphin as well.
                Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

USB devices have never appeared on my Kubuntu desktop (which doesn't bother me, particularly). However, with Dolphin or Konqueror they are "safely removed" with a right-click on the device and a left-click on the "Safely Remove" menu item. So I would view the part where they don't "remove" as a bug or a problem.

When a device is plugged in, try running
                  Code:
                  lsusb
                  to see if the USB bus even recognizes that it is there, and identifies it correctly. I don't remember whether you need a "sudo" prefix to run that command or not. :P

Also, I recently made a list of the HAL daemons that are running on my system -- if I can find that post, I'll point you to it, and you can check and make sure they're all running on your system.

EDIT: here it is.

Comment

I just tried this in 8.04 (KDE3.5), again.

Flash drive on the Desktop, right-click, Safely Remove, it processed OK, the icon remained on the Desktop, BUT the little bright green triangle was gone (after Safely Removing = unmounting it). I think that's what's important, right? That it is unmounted (as indicated by that green triangle).
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Flash drive on the Desktop, right-click, Safely Remove, it processed OK, the icon remained on the Desktop, BUT the little bright green triangle was gone (after Safely Removing = unmounting it). I think that's what's important, right? That it is unmounted (as indicated by that green triangle).
                      I suppose this is true, but for my flash drive, the light stays on. I'm also using KDE3.5 in Hardy.
                      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

btw, I have not updated lately. There are "67 updated packages available" behind that red Adept update icon. If my Kubuntu system is working fairly well, I usually try to avoid getting those updates as long as possible (or at least for a week or so), especially if they look "heavy" (that would be an aging-hippie expression).
                        However, it sounds like others here are up-to-date and they are not having the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by finifly
                          This is happening to me too. There used to be a message along the lines of: Storage device removed, but could not be ejected. Now nothing happens and the icon remains on the desktop. This happens in d3lphin as well.
                          Did you make sure you set the KDE preference so the icons of 'unmounted' removable drives will disappear from the desktop? The device icons remain on screen by default, so if it's left that way, successfully unmounting a USB drive will not make its icon disappear.

I used to see the Storage device removed, but could not be ejected. message on another Linux distro which had an older kernel. Not with Kubuntu 8.04.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
                          X