This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filesystem being checked at every boot.

Hi there, I´ve been across some pals that are having this trouble, FSCK checks the filesystems "on top" in every startup, this mainly seems related to VMware installation, as long as for example also having problems with usplash or after uninstalling usplash, with the background at shutdown/reboot time, seeing the letters blurry, or colors inverted, things like that...
    Question is:
    How to get rid of that pesky scan (that gets aborted because the units are mounted) on every boot?
    At first glance, I tried going to the recovery mode to do a full filesystem check with fsck, but it did nothing to solve this...
    Also, regarding ReiserFS partitions, noatime should or should not be implemented?

Re: Filesystem being checked at every boot.

Please take a look at this How-To.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      Thanks for the reply,I took a look at it and the links in it.
      Though some differences and problems occur:
      One: The FS is ReiserFS
      Two: At EVERY boot, not after 30 boots.
      Three: showfsck was not installed, after I installed it, and executed it, the output was none ("").
      Having said that, hope you can drop me a little help...

Comment

I'm sorry, I should have been more explicit. I was suggesting the use of autofsck (link in thread referenced above). As to ReiserFS, I have never used it, but that's another topic.

Comment

Tried with it too, but manpages were not useful at all and it doesn't point to my problem for what I can see on it...
          Thanks for the reply anyways....

Comment

Originally posted by ZeuZ
            Three: showfsck was not installed, after I installed it, and executed it, the output was none ("").
            did you run showfsck with "sudo', i.e.,

sudo showfsck

I had the same problem and showfsck showed that the count on 2 of my disks had gone negative and just kept getting more negative. I guess that the s/w does know what to do with negative except to keep decrementing and the checking s/w probably only checks for greater than zero.

I used autofsck to reset the number of boots between checks and that reset the negative numbers - problem solved for me.

There is probably another way to reset the number of boots between checks and that may solve the problem also.

Comment

Those who have experience with Reiser file systems (dibl - are you listening?) will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but ....

The strength of the RFS is it's recovery ability if a crash occurs. This ability is present because of the integrity check that is performed during every boot, unlike EX2/3 file systems which are 'set to be checked' every xth boot. So, one sacrifices boot time with RFS but gains very good recovery in the event of a crash.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
                did you run showfsck with "sudo', i.e.,

sudo showfsck

I had the same problem and showfsck showed that the count on 2 of my disks had gone negative and just kept getting more negative. I guess that the s/w does know what to do with negative except to keep decrementing and the checking s/w probably only checks for greater than zero.

I used autofsck to reset the number of boots between checks and that reset the negative numbers - problem solved for me.

There is probably another way to reset the number of boots between checks and that may solve the problem also.

That question was not cleaver.
                Of course.
                And showfsck shows no output for my drives. THEY're NOT extX. it's not the same...

And according to SNowhog's affirmation, that's one of it's main points, though with other systems having the same layout, I do not have this problem at all.

Comment

A bit of reading: ReiserFS

Comment

Can't find any information regardin my issue there, nor any confirmation of this being inherent to the FS...
                    Though not storing Partition Images from oringating ReiserFS on ReiserFS partitions is something I didn't knew about...

Comment

Would you post your /etc/fstab file so it can be reviewed?

Comment

AFAIK, reiserfs runs the journal EVERY boot. It's not exactly the same as fsck on ext3, but it does take some time and slow down the booting process.

Also, you should know that reiserfs is a "dead" filesystem -- namesys is not actively maintaining it and it has no known future. It's OK to run it for now, but when the opportunity comes to change to ext3, that would be advisable, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          AFAIK, reiserfs runs the journal EVERY boot. It's not exactly the same as fsck on ext3, but it does take some time and slow down the booting process.

Also, you should know that reiserfs is a "dead" filesystem -- namesys is not actively maintaining it and it has no known future. It's OK to run it for now, but when the opportunity comes to change to ext3, that would be advisable, IMO.

AFAIK ReiserFS 4 is about to enter in development process, thouhg now that Reiser is in jail, it's not know what's gonna happen I concur with that...
                          It's just that I'm not too confy with XFS and JFS has given me troubles with Nexenta...
                          Well, gonna create a copy to migrate to another FS then..
                          Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            Also, you should know that reiserfs is a "dead" filesystem...
                            "...a "dead" filesystem..." Did you read thread posted on ReiserFS - NameSys Update? Now THAT'S interesting!

Comment

ReiserFS 4 is about to enter in development process
                              I'm no filesystem expert, and don't claim to be. Those who know better than me say that reiserFS 4 looked like it had good potential.

However, "entering development" is a far distance from "reliable for everyday use".

ext4 has been in development for years, and MAY be released before 2009. Or may not .....

I use XFS for some data storage partitions of 200GB or more, where the data is mostly static -- it works well in that situation. I used it for my Kubuntu filesystem for about 15 months, and it started failing -- it showed 50% fragmentation, but would not defragment below 35%.

I just installed a new sidux 2008-02 system on JFS. I'm curious to see how it holds up. So far, so good, but I have not put any critical data on it, and I won't.

ext3 is the only mature Linux filesystem that is reliable for everyday use, now. The others are for risk-takers.

p.s. a little empirical data never hurt a discussion:

http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html

Comment

Working...
                              X