This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data File Backup SW [SOLVED]

I am running the 64 bit version of Kubuntu (8.04).

Looking for a gui based SW that will enable backup of my data files preferably on a timed interval though not essential.

Have tried "Keep" with no luck; it does not backup to my defined mountpoint but gives an error message. Tried solutions for it elsewhere on this board with little success.

Downloaded "TimeVault" and another program (can't recall the name right now) and both give an error message at install that they are i386 versions.
    The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Re: Data File Backup SW

Well, I've got a script which copies any changed files(incl. subdirectories) from /original to /backup.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # backup script
    cp -R -u -v -f /original /backup
    I put this script into KCron (in the menu under system) and call it up every five minutes. Furthermore, I make it copy everything across two separate hard disks, so even if one crashes, the other will be up-to-date...

Not quite flashy GUI stuff, but at least I'm in control

HTH
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: Data File Backup SW

Thanks "toad" I think that will just be what I need; can dispense with the gui part just my lazy nature that required it.

Regards.
      The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Working...
      X