Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to use different wallpapers on each desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use different wallpapers on each desktop?

I have installed ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron and added KDE 4 and changed to 4 Desktops , in previous versions I was able to place different wallpapers to each desktop , but in KDE 4 Is is possible to so?

I have tried to find from where I can change but am unable to do so.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    (:  There is pleasure in being mad and only the mad know about it.)(

Re: How to use different wallpapers on each desktop?

I don't think you can just yet, at least still not in 4.1beta

Comment

IF KDE 4.1 final includes the ability to write individual wallpapers to the cube, that would be fantastic! The ability to do this apparently exists in Ubuntu which uses Nautilus.

For those interested, this HOWTO: Multiple wallpapers in Kubuntu Gusty+Compiz-Fusion is interesting.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
        I don't think you can just yet, at least still not in 4.1beta
        This is actually a hugely important feature in my opinion... very surprised to hear it's still not close to being back. Please don't tell me I'm stuck on 3.5.x until 4.2.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

This is actually a hugely important feature in my opinion...
          Really?

Well, I don't understand that opinion, but if the choice is to either have multiple wallpapers in 4.1 or go back to 3.5.9, then you have nothing to lose by following the guidance in the link that Snowhog gave. Worst case, you'll trash your KDE4 setup, but if you're going back to 3.5 anyway, there's nothing to lose, huh?

Comment

As to the 'eye-candy' that Compiz provides, I too would love to see the ability to have separate wallpapers on cube faces. The problem in doing so isn't a problem with Compiz, as this ability is built into Compiz. Rather, it is a problem with the programing language used by KDE, and the HOWTO link I posted describes the process of 'patching' the code so that true transparency is functional. Given that this 'function' can be created with a patch implies that it can be provided natively by the developers.

Developers - are you listening?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This really isn't about compiz's cube or even kwin effects, but rather the inability to set separate backgrounds for your virtual desktops in KDE4 as you can in KDE 3

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=155150
              Go and vote for this one, it is becoming popular

I personally like the rotating wallpaper feature as i can never settle on one image, so i just have it set to change every half hour or so . I would miss that a lot if it were not implemented

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                Really?

Well, I don't understand that opinion, but if the choice is to either have multiple wallpapers in 4.1 or go back to 3.5.9, then you have nothing to lose by following the guidance in the link that Snowhog gave. Worst case, you'll trash your KDE4 setup, but if you're going back to 3.5 anyway, there's nothing to lose, huh?
                I don't run compiz... and yes, it is the way my family used to quickly differentiate between "users"... we don't logon/off, instead use one account with personalized desktops.

I'm stuck on 3.5 anyways, due to the ~bug where my plasmoids and panel disappear/jumble whenever I start a wine app.

Comment

KDE4: How to use different wallpapers on each desktop?

As seen in the comments: http://dot.kde.org/1231885724/

by sebas on Tuesday 13/Jan/2009, @17:29
                  > unique wallpaper for every virtual desktop

You can get that by putting a line perVirtualDesktopViews=true in your plasmarc. It's an experimental feature we've implemented that doesn't have a configuration UI yet.
                  Try the [PlasmaViews] group. (I didn't use this yet, so I'm relying on 3rd party information here ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X