This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manually Remove Plasmoids / Applets from the KDE4 Desktop

I recently installed the extragear-plasma package to get those desktop applets I've seen. I was happy with them, they're great, but I wanted to tidy my desktop and get rid of a few I don't need.

All of them removed cleanly except the dictionary. Every time I logged in, it was back. I removed the extragear-plasma package and it resulted in an orphaned plasmoid that said "This object could not be created".

After some googling, I could not find the answer. but I did manage to find the file that contains the plasmoid location settings..

To manually remove any plasmoid from the desktop you can simply delete the entry from:

~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc

If you open that file in the text editor of your choice you'll see, like in my case, entries like this:

Code:
    [Containments][1][Applets][117]
    geometry=15,88.5,540,88
    locked=false
    plugin=dict
    Of course the "dict" plugin no longer exists since I removed its parent package, but I had to manually remove that section from plasma-appletsrc to prevent the plasmoid window from loading upon logging into KDE4.

I imagine you could apply this to any applet that's causing a similar problem.

My apologies if this is posted somewhere else, or widely known, I'm still new to Kubuntu, and this is my first visit to these forums!

I hope this proves as helpful to others as it has to me!

Graham

Re: Manually Remove Plasmoids / Applets from the KDE4 Desktop

Thank you. I have had the annoying problem of the dictionary coming back time after time... I appreciate your post here.

Comment

Working...
    X