This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not get more than two desktops

Since upgrading to Kubuntu 8.04 LTS (KDE 3.5.8) I can't seem to change my virtual desktops to more than two. Every time I set it to anything over 2 desktops and hit "apply" nothing happens.

My system:
    Kubuntu 8.04 LTS
    2.8ghz P-4
    1.5GB RAM
    nVidia FX5200 256MB

Doubt it is related but also since upgrading to the new version my full screen video sucks eggs. My wife's PC runs full screen fine (same version of Kubuntu) she has a 2.4ghz Celeron, basic integrated video (intel 845 or 915 chipset) 512MB RAM!.... WTF gives?

Re: Can not get more than two desktops

Since upgrading to Kubuntu 8.04 LTS (KDE 3.5.Cool I can't seem to change my virtual desktops to more than two. Every time I set it to anything over 2 desktops and hit "apply" nothing happens.
    If you try trough konsole:
    Code:
    kcmshell desktop
    Any error messages ?

man kcmshell
    NAME
    kcmshell - tool to start single KDE control modules

desktop - You can configure how many virtual desktops there are.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      Since upgrading to Kubuntu 8.04 LTS (KDE 3.5.Cool I can't seem to change my virtual desktops to more than two. Every time I set it to anything over 2 desktops and hit "apply" nothing happens.
      If you try trough konsole:
      Code:
      kcmshell desktop
      Any error messages ?

man kcmshell
      NAME
      kcmshell - tool to start single KDE control modules

desktop - You can configure how many virtual desktops there are.
      No errors and again attempted raising number of desktops and again still stuck at 2......

Comment

Desktop settings, for a user, are in the ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc. There are something like this:
        [Desktops]
        Name_1=
        Name_2=
        Name_3=
        Name_4=
        Number=4

Note !
        When KDE is up and running settings are in the memory. When you log out, settings are saved to the kwinrc.

What i tried:

Log out > Ctrl + Alt + F1 > Virtual console /1/ starts > text mode log in.

type /2/:
        Code:
        nano ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
        Changing => Number=13
        Saving (Ctrl o), Exit (Ctrl x)

Log out (exit) > Ctrl + Alt + F7 > graphical log in > KDE starts, there are 13 virtual desktops...

/1/ Virtual Console
        Usually in Linux, the first six virtual consoles provide a text terminal with a login prompt to a unix shell. The graphical X Window System starts in the seventh virtual console. In Linux, the switching is performed with a key combination of Alt plus a function key -- for example Alt+F1 to access the virtual console number 1. Alt+Left arrow changes to the previous virtual console and Alt+Right arrow to the next virtual console. To switch from the X Window System, Ctrl+Alt+function key works. These are the default key combinations, as they can be redefined.
        /2/ man nano
        nano is a small, free and friendly editor which aims to replace Pico, the default editor included in the non-free Pine package.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I have the same problem using compiz.

Every time I login I have only one listed on the pager. I'm able to switch between the virtual desktops using hotkeys, but the pager doesn't correctly list the amount of desktops until I change screen resolution. I usually just use krandrtray to quickly switch resolution, then change back, when I login.

When I login using KWin the amount of desktops show up fine though, so I might be way off base here!

Comment

Crap... I got it sorted out... I don't understand it but I got it sorted out...
            Resolved!
            After trying the previous suggestion which should have netted me 13 virtual desktops and getting no joy, I don't know what got me to do it but I checked my graphics driver. Apparently during the upgrading Kubuntu decided to change drivers on me. Normally I use the non-free Nvidia driver and Kubuntu switched it to the open source "nv" driver. Somehow this maked a difference and caused the desktop problem. As soon as I switched drivers it gave me the 13 desktops which I now have paired down to the 4 desktops I wanted.

All I can determine is during the upgrade it switched the driver but when it asked me if I wanted to keep my xorg settings I said "yes". It must have caused some kind of odd conflict using the old xorg settings which were for the non-free binary Nvidia driver and actually using the free open source Nvidia driver.

Comment

Working...
            X