This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaffeine video glitchy [solved, sorta]

I'm attempting to use Kaffeine to view videos of various sorts and encountering very bad video glitching, stuttering, tearing, etc. The audio is fine, but the video varies from distracting to unwatchable. Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone got a fix?

I'm using Kaffeine 0.8.6 with the Kaffeine-Xine engine in KDE 3.5.9 on a fully-updated Hardy installation. Configuration for Kaffeine and the Xine engine are at their defaults. I'm running a 64-bit kernel on an AMD Turion.

Basically every video I try exhibits this stuttering to some degree. This includes AVI files with either motion JPEG or H.264 encoding, as well as streamed data in Windows Media Player format. These files play perfectly under VLC or using (I think) the xine engine in digiKam; only Kaffeine has this problem for me.

A MMS stream that exhibits the problem is here (sorry for the long url)
    Code:
    mms://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2008/open/mlbam/2008/05/14/mlbtv_bosbal_376569_400K.wmv
    This is one of the unwatchably-bad ones, so if you find yourself wondering what I'm complaining about, you don't have the problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I've not been able to find any references to this problem, so I'm worried it's just me...

Re: Kaffeine video glitchy

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I tried embedding that URL, but the forum didn't like the mms transport and stuck an http at the front. I'm able to load it by copy/pasting into the "File/Open URL" in Kaffeine.

The original page for that video is http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_t...eo&cid=mlb&v=2

It's not a network bandwidth problem. For one, I'm on a ridiculously fast connection. For another, I get the same issue (albeit not usually as bad) when viewing local files. Disk and CPU usage are both normal, nothing seems maxed out.

Comment

For me that link plays great in mplayer, badly in vlc and kaffeine seems to add purple areas (but it does play without stopping)

Comment

I tried in VLC. I wouldn't say it flickers, more like twitches.

Comment

Interesting... it seems there are problems, anyway. Maybe I should more carefully explain what I see in that video. As I mentioned, the audio is fine. The video, on the other hand, runs for a fraction of a second, then jumps back to near the beginning and re-runs. It then looks ok for another very short time, then jumps again -- forward or backward. It gets steadily more chaotic as it goes, but it always stays more or less up to date with the audio. That is, if you kept an average of the time index of the video you see as you go, that average would be correct. At any moment, though, it may be way out of sync for a short burst.

Odd that VLC seems to be better for me. Unfortunately, I'm trying to watch a video feed that VLC can't handle but Kaffeine manages to show (albeit with flickering). Maybe I'll confront that problem too...

Thanks for your comments, I'd appreciate anyone else's experience.

Comment

Just to follow up, I've gotten rid of the problem by changing my Xorg config. I'm not exactly sure what I did that fixed it, but Kaffeine no longer glitches at all on the example video I posted above.

The changes I made were basically removing the fglrx proprietary ATI video driver and switching to the radeon open source driver. I also replaced my old detailed xorg.conf file with the nearly-empty default that dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg generates. I added a "virtual" line to that default configuration, but it's otherwise empty.

Comment

Re: Kaffeine video glitchy [solved, sorta]

I have a similar problem, but how you did what you described as the solution?
              Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Re: Kaffeine video glitchy [solved, sorta]

I opened System->Hardware Drivers Manager and deselected the ATI Accelerated Graphics Driver. This removed the fglrx driver and associated software. I then executed the dpkg-reconfigure command in my previous post which replaced the xorg.conf. I then rebooted. I *suspect* that Kaffeine would work at this point, but it was not until later that I noticed.

If you try this, I'd suggest making a backup of /etc/X11/xorg.conf before trying. If things fail, then you can restore it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X