This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Manager won't open

Hi, I'm new Kubuntu. I used to use Ubuntu but that machine has bit the dust and I recently tried to install ubuntu on my old desktop. It kept failing so I tried Kubuntu and it worked . I have connected to the internet and I have browsed the web on it. I can also open a terminal just fine. But, when I try to open the packages manager or add/remove programs I get the little "working" animation next to the mouse but nothing ever opens. I'm use 8.04. Thanks for any advice!!

Chris

Re: Package Manager won't open

You can usually find out a little more on what the error is by opening up a terminal and typing
    Code:
    kdesu adept_manager
    This will show the actual error while opening the package manager. Then post the error here and someone should be able to help you.

namopereht

Comment

ok, I got adept manager to open, but it keeps quitting when I try to do whatever default upgrades it has listed. Here is what the terminal said when I started it via the command above:

debconf

syskloged

short-mysql

oinkmaster

adept_manager: fatal IO error: client killed
      Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

Then, once I got it open, I kept getting this upgrade item listed as broken:

linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic BROKEN (installed)

and also when it seemed like the updates were downloading and updating fine it kept stopping on one item and shooting up an error that basically said it wasn't working because a file was broken or download messed.. or something like that. The file it kept stopping on was something like linux-image-2.6.....

Any ideas? Any more suggestions how I might be able to get this to work? Konquerer browser opens and browses fine but has no flash or java support.

Comment

Does any previous kernel installed work with this?
        Either way those modules being broken should not affect the package manager...
        What you can do is go to a console, then do:
        sudo aptitude clean
        [insert your password]
        sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade
        Then tell us how it works, also, try installing Synaptic Package manager just to see it´s reaction (it´s more stable than adept)
        To do that, from a console do:
        aptitude install synaptic
        then to run it, do
        kdesudo synaptic
        It will prompt you for the password of your user again, then you should be on it...
        Keep in touch and Let´s hope this helps...

Comment

Working...
        X