X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 new kernels in a few days

Good morning,

I was wondering, what do you people do with the now obsolete 16 en 17 versions of the kernel?

I assume if you remove linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic and linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic with synaptic, the startup entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst are also removed?

Just asking opinions from more experienced users.

Thanks.
    Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Re: 2 new kernels in a few days

I assume if you remove linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic and linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic with synaptic, the startup entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst are also removed?
    Yes, but it is good to have at least one older/working kernel.

Earlier > HOWTO: Removing unnecessary entries from the grub menu list
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

This was helpful, thanks.

Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

I always retain the older (previous) kernel until the next new one comes along. So my Grub entry will look like:

kernel ......18 (default boot)
        kernel ...... 17

or

kernel ...... 17 (default boot)
        kernel ...... 16
        The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

a trivial comment ...

If you want to wait & see, and keep everything for awhile, you can always comment-out any GRUB entries you wish to keep but not see -- by placing the # sign in front of every line in menu.lst you wish to keep but not see at boot time.

Then, later on, follow the "Rog131 How-to" to remove everything properly.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X