Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still no keyboard shortcut for Kmenu in KDE 4.1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still no keyboard shortcut for Kmenu in KDE 4.1?

Alt_l is working for me as well but somewhere these combos are not working.

They are listed in system settings>keyboard shortcuts (at least here) but not active.

Is there a config file somewhere that can be edited?

There ususally is for just about anything. I just can't find it
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
      @randcoop: Now sweat

As of today (7 June), things are worse for the keyboard situation. Now, none of the keyboard shortcuts that have been working in KDE 4.0 are working in 4.1 My system is up to date, so they broke something with the latest updates.

No keyboard shortcuts can be set.
      I have noticed that as well. Hmm.....

Daihard over here:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

gave me a hint.

He (we) thinks the alt key has been disabled somehow.
      It's not so much a hint as an effort together to figure out what's going on. I am running out of ideas, though.

There's also a KDE forum here. They might give us some insight into the issue.

http://www.kde-forum.org/index.html
      Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
      Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

The IRC channel didn't get me very far. One person suggested that they thought the openSuse solution must have been a patch that they produced, because this person believes that the KDE people have not addressed the issue yet.

Another person suggested checking the bug list to see if this had been reported. So I'm going to to that next.

Comment

You can map the windows key on your keyboard to act as a menu shortcut key as follows:

Previous versions of KDE provided a trick to allow you to use the Windows® key both as a modifier (so you could have shortcuts like Win+R), and as a regular key (so that pressing Win on its own could open the K menu). This feature was removed for reasons of usability and accessibility, as well as keeping the code clean. For current versions of KDE, you have two options: either use a different shortcut to open the K menu (the default is Alt+F1), or remap the Win key to be a regular key, rather than a modifier.

If you choose to do the second, here's one way:

Find the keycode for your Win key using xev: Run the command xev in a Konsole, and press the Win key. Look in the output of xev for keycode n, where n is the keycode of the Win key.

Use xmodmap to remap the Win key. An appropriate command is xmodmap -e 'keycode n=Menu'.

In the KDE Control Center, go to Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Shortcuts and set the shortcut for Popup Launch Menu to the Win key. You should now be able to popup the K menu by pressing the Win key.

One more step is required to save the changes across settings: Create a file ~/.kde/env/win-key.sh (create the directory if it doesn't exist), and add the xmodmap command you used previously to it. The change should now be applied every time you start KDE.

This worked for me, got it from ked.org

Comment

Originally posted by meddler
            You can map the windows key on your keyboard to act as a menu shortcut key as follows:

Previous versions of KDE provided a trick to allow you to use the Windows® key both as a modifier (so you could have shortcuts like Win+R), and as a regular key (so that pressing Win on its own could open the K menu). This feature was removed for reasons of usability and accessibility, as well as keeping the code clean. For current versions of KDE, you have two options: either use a different shortcut to open the K menu (the default is Alt+F1), or remap the Win key to be a regular key, rather than a modifier.

If you choose to do the second, here's one way:

Find the keycode for your Win key using xev: Run the command xev in a Konsole, and press the Win key. Look in the output of xev for keycode n, where n is the keycode of the Win key.

Use xmodmap to remap the Win key. An appropriate command is xmodmap -e 'keycode n=Menu'.

In the KDE Control Center, go to Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Shortcuts and set the shortcut for Popup Launch Menu to the Win key. You should now be able to popup the K menu by pressing the Win key.

One more step is required to save the changes across settings: Create a file ~/.kde/env/win-key.sh (create the directory if it doesn't exist), and add the xmodmap command you used previously to it. The change should now be applied every time you start KDE.

This worked for me, got it from ked.org
            Alternatively, you can save your xmodmap setting in your ~/.Xmodmap. This is what I have in mine.
            Code:
            ! Window key (left)
            keycode 115 = F13
            This will map my Win key to F13 whenever I log in. I suppose you could use "Menu" instead of "F13," but it's essentially the same.
            Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
            Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

I spent an hour scrolling through bugs.kde.org.

There are a lot of great suggestions concerning alt1f2 (and alt+f1) but none stating that they do not work.

Maybe I am blind (possible) but I have a sneaking feeling that this is a kubuntu issue.

The kde-forum is equally useless imho. Hardly any replies to any of the posts. That is a bit suspicious.
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I had the same experience with the KDE forum and searching for the bugs. I too believe this is a Kubuntu issue.

The method for mapping the WIN key suggests that it is an alternative to the default Alt-F1 key for invoking the Kmenu. But that misses the point: the Alt-F1 key does not work.

The Alt-F1 key appears to have been mapped to invoke the Kmenu. But what seems to be broken is the mapping process.

Still, I will try to spend some time re-mapping the key to see if I can get an alternative to work.

Comment

Good luck, can't wait.

I thought I would be clever (and lazy) and copied my working /usr/bin/xmodmap from my debian kde 4.1 over to my kubunt kde 4.1.

Well that didn't work either :P
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Went to the IRC for kubuntu-devel, which seems to be where the developers hang out. Asked about the keyboard issues and was told that the fixes should show up in the next updates.

I will wait and see.

Comment

Asked about the keyboard issues and was told that the fixes should show up in the next updates.
                      Well that sounds good
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I hope. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                        X