Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still no keyboard shortcut for Kmenu in KDE 4.1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no keyboard shortcut for Kmenu in KDE 4.1?

A keyboard shortcut for opening the menu in a window manager has been a standard for as long as I can remember. In every version of Windows at least as far back as 95, it's been CTRL-ESC. In Linux, different window managers have used different combinations, but usually it's been either the Window CTRL-ESC or ALT-F1. And the ALT-F1 combination has worked for KDE throughout the 3.xx series.

In KDE 4.0 and subsequent versions, the ALT-F1 key combination stopped working and it was not possible, as far as I can tell, to set a keyboard shortcut that would invoke the menu.

Now, we're up to KDE 4.1 Beta. The 4.1 version of KDE is supposed to be the "ready for prime time" version. Yet still, there's no ALT-F1 combination, or any other, to invoke the Kmenu.

Does anyone have any information as to why this basic long-standing practice appears to have been abandoned? Have the KDE developers really decided that keyboard use is obsolete and that everyone must be using a mouse all of the time?

It seems to me this is at best an odd conclusion and at worst a ridiculous decision. But I'd appreciate with an explanation stepping forward and giving it. Perhaps it will make sense (though I can't imagine how).

Re: Still no keyboard shortcut for Kmenu in KDE 4.1?

Originally posted by randcoop
    Now, we're up to KDE 4.1 Beta. The 4.1 version of KDE is supposed to be the "ready for prime time" version. Yet still, there's no ALT-F1 combination, or any other, to invoke the Kmenu.

Does anyone have any information as to why this basic long-standing practice appears to have been abandoned? Have the KDE developers really decided that keyboard use is obsolete and that everyone must be using a mouse all of the time?

It seems to me this is at best an odd conclusion and at worst a ridiculous decision. But I'd appreciate with an explanation stepping forward and giving it. Perhaps it will make sense (though I can't imagine how).
    I don't have KDE 4 here to play with, but are you saying that not only does KDE 4 not have the default keyboard shortcut to invoke the K Menu, but it also won't let you set your own either? Now that would be utterly ridiculous. I hope I read the OP's post wrong.
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

You understood me correctly. As far as I can tell, there is no way to assign a key combination to invoke the kmenu.

Comment

I think Alt-F2 is what most keyboarders use to get where they want. I agree that navigating the K Menu with the keyboard could have some value, but it's not like kde 4 is crippled without this ability. The KRunner is very capable and very fast.

Comment

@randccop:
          Apart from the fact that kde4.1 beta IS beta I am not so sure knocking kde like that is quite right and probably unqualified.

Every distro changes the desktop environment to their "tastes".
          some leave it as "pure" as possible. Others "tweak" the hell out of it.

I have a opensuse 11 RC1 which is a kde4.o.4 / 4.1 hybrid and the combo alt+f1=kmenu works out of the box.

On my kubuntu HH remix 4.1 and my HH 4.1 (debian version) it does not work.

So, I believe this is another one of those kubuntu "features".

I also agree with nate. This not exactly a "houston" we have a problem" issue
          The advances made by kde in kde4 for the desktop far outweigh this "issue".
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            I have a opensuse 11 RC1 which is a kde4.o.4 / 4.1 hybrid and the combo alt+f1=kmenu works out of the box.

On my kubuntu HH remix 4.1 and my HH 4.1 (debian version) it does not work.

Why would Kubuntu do that, though? They didn't strip that feature from KDE 3, and I see no reason why they'd do it any differently for KDE 4.

I also agree with nate. This not exactly a "houston" we have a problem" issue
            I doubt it'd be a showstopper for many users, but let's not be so assertive.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Kubuntu loves to make things as easy as possible. In the process... well some stuff gets lost

Btw I just checked on my HH kde3 / kde4.0.4 install. the combo works in kde3 not in kde4 :P
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                Btw I just checked on my HH kde3 / kde4.0.4 install. the combo works in kde3 not in kde4 :P
                Yes, <Alt + F1> works on Hardy / KDE 3. As the OP said, I believe this combination has been used to invoke the K Menu for a long, long time. If Canonical has decided to take this feature off KDE 4, they'd better have a very good reason for it.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

I think Alt-F2 is what most keyboarders use to get where they want. I agree that navigating the K Menu with the keyboard could have some value, but it's not like kde 4 is crippled without this ability. The KRunner is very capable and very fast.
                  I'm not sure why you think that most keyboarders use Alt-F2 as a substitute for menu use. I'm a keyboarder and I don't do that. And I'm not new to Linux, KDE, or Kubuntu. To the contrary, I've been using these things for many years. Of course KDE4 isn't "crippled" without the ability. But it is less functional for no apparent reason.

Apart from the fact that kde4.1 beta IS beta I am not so sure knocking kde like that is quite right and probably unqualified.
                  I don't actually understand this comment. At the beta level, things like a functioning ability to invoke keys for opening the menu seems to me worth knocking. I have no clue what you mean by "probably unqualified."

I also agree with nate. This not exactly a "houston" we have a problem" issue Wink
                  A feature?!? What the hell kind of a feature takes away a long standing component that makes all the sense in the world? What kind of feature forces me to use the mouse to start the menu?

Look, the KDE developers are the first ones to talk about how wonderfully advanced KDE4 is for users. How user friendly it is.

I've been using KDE 4 since it was introduced as KDE 4.0. I understand all the development issues. I understand that THAT was an alpha version. But now we're a couple of months away from KDE 4.1 and we're up to the beta stage. If now is not the time for veteran users of KDE to call "Houston" and tell them that it's a BIG problem that they've obliterated a feature, then I don't know when that time would be. Before filing a bug, I wanted to see if anyone knew of any good reason that the developers had taken away this keyboard shortcut. Not only haven't I gotten any reason at all, I've now been told that this isn't a KDE issue, it's a Kubuntu issue.

If that's true, then perhaps my complaint should be directed to Jonathan Riddell, who seems to be integral to both KDE development and Kubuntu.

Comment

Not only haven't I gotten any reason at all, I've now been told that this isn't a KDE issue, it's a Kubuntu issue.
                    All I can do is repeat myself:
                    It works on my debian 4.1 beta and on my opensuse kde4.04/kde4.1 hybrid as well on my HH kde3 / kde4.04, but only in kde3.

So my assumption that it is a kubuntu "feature".
                    The " " are supposed to express a certain amount of dismayed humor with a touch of sarcasm

Sorry if I came across a bit hard, it wasn't meant to sound like that.
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry if I came across a bit hard, it wasn't meant to sound like that.
                      Let me apologize, too. There's no need for this to be a strident discussion. My frustration with KDE 4.1 Beta led to a too harsh response on this thread.

Comment

As of today (7 June), things are worse for the keyboard situation. Now, none of the keyboard shortcuts that have been working in KDE 4.0 are working in 4.1 My system is up to date, so they broke something with the latest updates.

No keyboard shortcuts can be set.

I'll see if I can find anything out on the IRC chat for KDE 4.

Comment

Yep...same issue here. None of the Keyboard short cuts work. Still trying to find the config file for that.

Comment

@randcoop: Now sweat

As of today (7 June), things are worse for the keyboard situation. Now, none of the keyboard shortcuts that have been working in KDE 4.0 are working in 4.1 My system is up to date, so they broke something with the latest updates.

No keyboard shortcuts can be set.
                            I have noticed that as well. Hmm.....

Daihard over here:
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

gave me a hint.

He (we) thinks the alt key has been disabled somehow.

Maybe the IRC channel will give some info.
                            Never used it before.
                            How? :P
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Alt key is working for me under KDE 4.1 beta 1. So that's not the problem.

IRC channel can be reached using Konversation. Apparently, there is now a KDE 4.1 beta 1 channel on the Ubuntu IRC. I didn't get to that one yet. The IRC channel for KDE 4 didn't get me an answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X