This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Manager problem

A number of problems have popped up with HH and the Adept Manager. Original update after original install worked. Successive individual installs (individual apps) worked OK.

Things started going wrong after attempting to install Java 6. It won't install. Java 5 was never installed. None of the other updatable packages will not install, but instead goes the error message:

There was an error committing changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages.

Now NOTHING will install / upgrade as I get this message with everything. Anyone else getting? Any fix?

Dennis

Re: Adept Manager problem

Try running the install from the command line, I find that gives more informative messages.

e.g

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    post the output here if it still doesn't make sense.

Comment

Re: Adept Manager problem [SOLVED]

Originally posted by blackpaw
      Try running the install from the command line, I find that gives more informative messages.

e.g

Code:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
      post the output here if it still doesn't make sense.
      What I've already done is the following:

sudo apt-get clean
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install

Which worked up until the start of the Java install when a licensing screen pops up (with an <ok> at the bottom) over the text in the terminal window. I assume you have to accept the terms by hitting the "ok" but don't know how. So the installation of the Java just sits in the background waiting to proceed.

Does this substitute (accomplish) what you suggested? If so, I just need the method of accepting the license agreement (pop-up above terminal text) and It might proceed.

Thanks.

Dennis

EDIT .................................................. ...........................................
      Once I figured out how to activate the licensing screen to accept, the installation process completed for Java 6. I then ran the remaining 9 updates from the Adept Manager as would normally. All went well. Then attempted to install an individual app and no error messages. All seems well for now.

Comment

Re: Adept Manager problem [RESOLVED]

Originally posted by DennisOS2
        EDIT .................................................. ...........................................
        Once I figured out how to activate the licensing screen to accept, the installation process completed for Java 6. I then ran the remaining 9 updates from the Adept Manager as would normally. All went well. Then attempted to install an individual app and no error messages. All seems well for now.
        Excellent, good one

You might want to edit the topic header for this thread to indicate [SOLVED]

Cheers

Comment

This has burned me more than once... does anyone know how to "Show Details" by default when using Adept?

Also, why the heck isn't there a sudo dpkg --configure -a BUTTON in the menu

(Yeah, better luck in an appropriate thread; just venting really.)

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
            This has burned me more than once... does anyone know how to "Show Details" by default when using Adept?
            What sort of details are you after?

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
              What sort of details are you after?
              When updating using Adept and the the user needs to hit "OK" to a license agreement, that is hidden until you select Show Details... that was the original problem in this thread.

Since it only happens once every 6 months, I forget to hit Show Details to I can hit OK, and instead assume Adept has locked up or something (what do you expect, I've been using Windows my whole life)... and then I just go down the road of WTF... if Adept was always showing details while updating this problem wouldn't exist.

Comment

Working...
              X