This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.1 RC1

Anyone know when the KDE 4.1 RC1 release will be available for Kubuntu? (backports I presume)

Re: KDE 4.1 RC1

No clue here, but there is a virtualbox image available that runs fairly well to play with for now.

At the top of the page:

http://etotheipiplusone.com/kde4dail...kde4daily.html

Comment

Thanks! I really want to eval the New Kontact stuff

Comment

If you don't use VirtualBox, there is some funkiness about loading a specific extra kernel module... I just did it the other night... wasn't too bad, but a couple extra hoops that aren't on the windows side.

Edit: My network connection didn't work "out-of-the-box", but then again, I really didn't try too hard to get it working either... thought I'd mention that since you brought up Kontact. Good luck!

Comment

4.1 is in the works, at least being backported from intrepid to hardy, iirc. They are still in progress, and boy so far it is looking nice Kwin's smoother and new effects and Dolphin w/tabs especially w00t!

If you hang out in irc, check out #kubuntu-kde4, I think nixternal is posting updates there and they can help you find the packages if you want to find and break stuff , They will be in a PPA repository. There is still a bit of work left to do, but it won't be long

Comment

I ran it up under virtual box, its a ubuntu base install so easy to update

Mixed feelings, it looks great, love the themes. Kontact is fabulous, I haven't really tried the new features - no time! Had issues with Agregator not displaying items in the feeds but that might be just to done to a misconfigured distro.

Very disappointed in the panel, if anything its worse than 4.04 - still can't move icons on the panel. And the menu - instead of scrolling it now displays a "more items" sub menu. Words cannot express how much I hate this, its unusable.

And I just don't like plasmoids - overly large, clunky and awkward to manage. I like putting shortcuts on the desktop and panel but that functionality is now either extremely awkward or not there at al.

Comment

Working...
            X