This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireFox 3 RCx -- Great!!

Just wanted to say that so far FF3 that was just upgraded to RCx from the repos is really great! Not that I had any real problems before, but I have noticed smoother performance and does seem faster. No memory issues either. Great! I even found quite a few new themes that were pleasing. My old reliables haven't updated yet, hope they do.

Re: FireFox 3 RCx -- Great!!

Originally posted by MoonRise
    Just wanted to say that so far FF3 that was just upgraded to RCx from the repos is really great! Not that I had any real problems before, but I have noticed smoother performance and does seem faster. No memory issues either. Great! I even found quite a few new themes that were pleasing. My old reliables haven't updated yet, hope they do.
    Could you help me out here? I have Firefox 3 Beta 5 installed from the repo. Now I ran apt-get to check for updatable packages, I still don't see Firefox. Should I uninstall Beta 5 first?

Thanks!
    Dai
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Make sure that in Adpet Manager under Adept --> Manager Repositories --> Updates TAB that all "Kubuntu Updates" options are "X". That should get the RC for FF3.

Comment

Make sure that in Adpet Manager under Adept --> Manager Repositories --> Updates TAB that all "Kubuntu Updates" options are "X". That should get the RC for FF3.
        Thanks for the suggestion! Now, is that something I can make sure via command-iine, like by checking /etc/apt/sources.list? I am at work now, and I can only access my Kubuntu box via command line.

If not, I will try it on Adept as soon as I get home.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

I can say that the crashes I previously got in FF2 have not occurred in FF3. And some of the more important extensions are now coming online. (Foxmarks).

Comment

Originally posted by daihard
            Thanks for the suggestion! Now, is that something I can make sure via command-iine, like by checking /etc/apt/sources.list? I am at work now, and I can only access my Kubuntu box via command line.

If not, I will try it on Adept as soon as I get home.
            I believe so, yes. Which lines actually need to be uncommented I don't know.

Comment

Thanks, that did it. I checked "Pre-released updates," which made FF 3 RC1 available for upgrade.

The only issue was that it also made tons of other pre-released packages available. Since I only wanted Firefox, I had to right-click and choose "Cancel request" on each of the other packages. Is there an easier way to just upgrade the packages I want? I tried "sudo apt-get upgrade firefox-3," but that also attempted to upgrade every possible package.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Not to my knowledge. Never really looked into that. I usually go all or bust. Keeps me on my toes!

Comment

Not to my knowledge. Never really looked into that. I usually go all or bust. Keeps me on my toes!
                  Yup it sure does.. lol!!!

Actually I have pre-release updates turned off right now.. but maybe I should tag it again. Just for the fun of it.

Kev

Comment

I've had quite a few updates through that and haven't had issues yet, but that is me and can't guarantee anyone else the same experience. If you like being on your toes, I say go for it. That is what has forced me to learn Linux and Kubuntu in some depth.

Comment

I've had quite a few updates through that and haven't had issues yet, but that is me and can't guarantee anyone else the same experience. If you like being on your toes, I say go for it. That is what has forced me to learn Linux and Kubuntu in some depth.
                      Haha, that's true. Make or break, right?

I wouldn't mind walking on the rope, either, except that I use the Kubuntu machine for work when I work from home, so I need some, if not total, stability. That means I probably shouldn't have installed Firefox 3 to begin with, but hey, curiosity kills the cat.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
                      X