This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

file system shared storage dual boot winXPpro

I am installing a seagate 750GB hard drive for shared storage on my dual boot winXPpro / Hardy box what is the best file system to use on this drive

Re: file system shared storage dual boot winXPpro

Probably NTFS, unless you want to get the Windows software to enable it to read/write ext3 (I've heard of it, but not tried it). NTFS is a journalling filesystem, more reliable than FAT, which is your other choice.

Comment

Thanks thats what I was leaning towards

Comment

Originally posted by jrh50
        I am installing a seagate 750GB hard drive for shared storage on my dual boot winXPpro / Hardy box what is the best file system to use on this drive
        I was doing exactly this recently and ran into some issues - all files were owned by root and that couldn't be changed (limitation of ntfs?)

One of the files became impossible to read or delete, even by inode. I'd stopped dual booting by then so backed up, reformated as ext3 and restored my files.

Since then (a few weeks ago) I've seen a nfts driver update go in, maybe it fixes the problems I ran into. Not that they were big problems, but enough to be a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by jrh50
          I am going with ext3.

But why NTFS closed and proprietary file system, and difficult to work out drivers for.

ext3 nice open file system roxz for the win! ;-)

I use Ext2 Installable File System For Windows, but there is also a project on sourceforge I haven't tried.

Experience it yourself and please report back.

I can see some people are putting a [SOLVED] or *Solved* tag in their subject when the problem is solved. Why is this tag so rare?

How to tag:
          The author of the thread, must modify the first message by manually editing the subject title.

Of course.. I don't know if the author of this thread is satisfied with the answer ;-)

I think the [SOLVED] tag in the subject title would make the forum system more efficient for helping people who need help.

To all thread authors, consider using this tag. You can always start a new thread being more specific about an unanswered question, which rarely is the same as the original subject title.

Kubuntu 4 the win.
          Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
          CV and gallery at grn.dk
          Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw

I was doing exactly this recently and ran into some issues - all files were owned by root and that couldn't be changed (limitation of ntfs?)
            When you mount the Windows partition, either with fstab or from the CLI, are you including the "user" and "rw" options?

I am able to read and write files to my windows partition, even though the "Permissions" are greyed out, and you can't change them.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate

When you mount the Windows partition, either with fstab or from the CLI, are you including the "user" and "rw" options?

Yes I was.

I was able to read write files, just unable to change ownership - I presumed this was a limitation of ntfs and/or the ntfs driver, it wasn't a big deal.

The inability to delete or read a file was a separate issue. I googled and found a few people with the same problem, but no resolution.

Comment

Working...
              X