This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple problems

All right, so I decided to give Kubuntu 8.04 a try and pretty soon got into problems/annoyances:

1. The default Monitor/GPU driver did not allow me to change to a supported resolution (no option in the dropdown menu under Display settings) so I installed the proprietary nvidia driver. The problem with this is that it always hangs at the login screen. If I restart X (CTRL+ALT+Backspace) it works fine until the next reboot. How do I correct this problem?

2. I still cannot select the right resolution/refresh rate combo. I need to use 1280x960x100. I can select 1280x960, but it only gives me 64Hz and 65Hz options (which are ridiculous). How do I set 100Hz for this resolution?

3. There's no way to set certain settings under System Settings CP (date and time, for example). Why?

Re: Multiple problems

Review the following two posts, in order:
    HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
    Re: Nvidia Driver Problems..
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by ReeRD
      All right, so I decided to give Kubuntu 8.04 a try and pretty soon got into problems/annoyances:

3. There's no way to set certain settings under System Settings CP (date and time, for example). Why?
      That takes root privileges - When in the Date Time Applet in System Settings there is a "Administrator Mode" button in the lower right corner. Click it.

Comment

That takes root privileges
        Yes, I know.

When in the Date Time Applet in System Settings there is a "Administrator Mode" button in the lower right corner. Click it.
        It's not available - that's the problem. I should have mentioned I'm running KDE 4.0.4 and after searching about this issue a bit more it seems to be yet another KDE 4 bug...

Snowhog: I tried Envy alone - installed it via Adept, it installed the driver and upon reboot the OS won't even boot - I get a black screen and repeated motherboard beeps (video problem). I guess I'll have to reinstall Kubuntu yet again and do this as well.

Actually I'm getting disappointed with KDE4/Kubuntu. I get way too much problems with simple things - I wouldn't have imagined I wouldn't be able to do something as simple as set the right resolution. These kinds of problems are from 10 years ago and shouldn't be present in 2008.

I'm wondering maybe my GPU (8800 GTX) is unsupported?

Comment

Originally posted by ReeRD
          It's not available - that's the problem. I should have mentioned I'm running KDE 4.0.4 and after searching about this issue a bit more it seems to be yet another KDE 4 bug...
          Ah - just checked my KDE 4.04 test pc, yeah the Admin button isn't there for any of the system settings. How the hell did that slip through Q/A?

Comment

Working...
          X