This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Locale settings FUBAR after OpenOffice upgrade

I just did a safe-upgrade and dist-upgrade, the latter of which upgraded a whole load of OpenOffice packages (to release candidates, in some cases...). It also broke openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb and openoffice.org-l10n-en-za:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb: Conflicts: openoffice.org-core (>= 1:2.4.0.1) but 1:2.4.1~rc1-1ubuntu1 is to be installed.
    openoffice.org-l10n-en-za: Conflicts: openoffice.org-core (>= 1:2.4.0.1) but 1:2.4.1~rc1-1ubuntu1 is to be installed.
    Resolving dependencies...
    The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
    language-pack-en
    language-pack-en-base
    language-pack-kde-en
    language-pack-kde-en-base
    language-support-en
    language-support-translations-en
    openoffice.org-help-en-gb
    openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
    openoffice.org-l10n-en-za
    thunderbird-locale-en-gb

Score is 20

Having thought "meh, let's see what happens" and gone ahead anyway, Perl is now giving a warning every time I invoke aptitude (for any reason):

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = "en_GB:en",
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
    perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

I just tried opening K3B and it also gave an error with similar gist.

Question: can anyone see a simple way to resolve this nicely, or should I just revert the OO changes and get the language packages back?

Re: Locale settings FUBAR after OpenOffice upgrade

I'm assuming you're in Great Britain based on the

LANGUAGE = "en_GB:en",
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"

perl errors you listed.

First check to see that your language (British English) is showing as selected.

K Menu > System Settings > Regional & Language > Country/Region & Language > Locale

You should see British English. If there is not language showing at all, click on Add Language > Other and select British English and then click on the Default button.

At the bottom of the screen, click the Select System Language button and enter your password and then select English (United Kingdom) and click the Set System Language button.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am indeed in GB. My locale is set to United Kingdom, however only US English was present in the "Add Language" dialog - no "other". I tried the "Install New Language" button towards the bottom of this screen - there are no entries for "British English" or "UK English" or any other possibility, other than just "English". I tried installing this - Adept is invoked, but fails with an error message implying that downloading the package would cause a conflict. So I can't get anything other than US English: well, OK, I'd be happy to use that, but the "Select System Language" dialog has absolutely no entries to choose from.

So, basically, it seems that the problem is in package dependencies, rather than locale settings - the packages listed in my initial post are not at all present on the system, and cannot be installed without conflicting with OO.o. (Specifically, if I try to install any of the language packages, openoffice.org-core wants to uninstall, which breaks every other OO.o package.)

Is this perhaps something that should be reported as a bug? To Kubuntu, OO.o, or somewhere else?

Comment

After half an hour playing with aptitude on the command line, I've managed to fix this.

There are some WEIRD dependency issues going on, though. I'd appreciate a pointer from somebody experienced as to whether this counts as a bug. I had to uninstall OOo, then install the language packages, and then reinstall OOo, which seemed to require Thunderbird (which I don't use and didn't previously have installed); after doing that, I tried a safe-upgrade again and was told Thunderbird was unused...so got rid of it again. I can't see any logic to some of the things that were being required or dependent or unused through all this - Thunderbird surely shouldn't affect OOo in any way?

Comment

Glad you fixed the issue. If you will return to your initial post in this thread and click the modify button, you can add SOLVED to the subject.

It might be that specific packages associated with an upgrade had not yet been placed into the repositories. A guess, but given that you eventually got past the problem, that would be a reasonable possibility.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X