• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screensavers Freeze in KDE 3.5 Hardy 32 bit

Hi,
    I installed screensavers in Hardy,
    and set them on random------
    Many of them freeze shortly after starting.
    Guess this is package kludge, as it has been so with
    all the kernel iterations so far.
    Hope 3.5 gets cleaned up it is otherwise way cleaner and more stable than KDE4 will
    be for a while yet.
    Best
    El Zorro
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Screensavers Freeze in KDE 3.5 Hardy 32 bit

More serious than I thought,
    one of then froze the system and required a hardware reboot with the reset button.
    I am setting it to no KDE3.5 screen savers now.
    Best
    El Zorro
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

Before resorting to the 'power on/off' button on your PC, the next time your system "appears" to be frozen, try to get a normal shutdown/reboot by using the 'magic key sequence' of:
      Alt+SysReq+r+s+e+i+u+b - 'magic key sequence' to shutdown/reboot a "frozen" system (keyboard won't respond)
      You press both, the Alt+SysReq keys (and hold, don't release) followed by (one at a time) the r, s, e, i, u, and b keys.

Unless your system is completely locked up, this will result in a normal system shutdown and reboot. Resort to using the power on/off button only if this process does not work. Your system will thank you.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here's a couple of links to previous threads on this subject. I have the same problem on my 32 bit HH install, which was an upgrade from GG, which was an upgrade from FF. I'm convinced this problem is somehow tied to the Nvidia driver.

I don't have the problem on my 64 bit install of HH, which was a new install, not an upgrade.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2889#msg102889

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7412#msg107412

Comment

Working...
        X