This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disk Mapping keep changing

I have installed kubuntu 8.04 on pc with 3 HD, 2 of them SATA and 1 IDE.
    First sata disk is sda, second sata disk is sdb and the IDE disk is sdc.
    I have notice that sometimes, apparently for no reason, my IDE drive is being mapped as sda and the other two sata as sdb and sdc, so my partions can't mount properly. This is never happened under kubuntu 7.10.
    Does anybody have a clue how to make my IDE drive stay as sdc?

Re: Disk Mapping keep changing

Are all three drives internal, or only two (or one)? If one or two are externally connected, are they connected via USB, and if yes, do you ever remove any of them before booting??
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

All of them are internal. I tried everything, setting the BIOS's hard drive boot sequence to match kubuntu's mapping, fresh installs, but is keep happening.
      I own an IDE to sata adapter if this continues to annoy me I will connect the IDE drive to a free SATA port.
      Thanks anyway , I realize that solving this, is a long shot, probably it will be fixed with the next released on November. But I'll stick with kubuntu, is simply the most rich-featured distribution.

Comment

When you say that the mapping keeps changing, what do you mean?
        (If you mean device.map, you can ignore it.)

But then you say your drives won't mount.
        Your (drives,partitions) should have unique UUIDs, and they should not change.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

With disk mapping I mean the sda, sdb sdc assigned on each hard disk. As I said earlier I have 3 HD
          1 western digital 320GB SATA HD being assigned sda
          1 samsung 160GB SATA HD being assigned as sdb
          and 1 samsung 120GB PATA being assigned as sdc
          Each one have 3 partition,
          I've notice that sometimes at the PATA HD is assigned the sda (through system settings->disks&file systems) so the others HDs change too.
          western digital 320GB SATA -> sdb
          samsung 160GB SATA -> sdc
          That is resulting on messing up my mounting points.
          The weird think is that i have just notice that sometimes my mounting points are OK (using dolphin) despite the disk mapping have changed, while the mounting points in the media directory are messed up.
          I'am not sure but I think that the whole mess happens after I have put a CD/DVD on the DVD drive (exactly on the next boot). I don't use CD/DVD very often, once o twice a week and this is when the problem appears.

Comment

You can stop the problem with mounting by using "mount by UUID" in your /etc/fstab file. Then you won't care any more about sdx numbers. To learn the UUID of each drive, first use
            Code:
            sudo fdisk -lu
            This will show the devices and filesystems. Then issue
            Code:
            sudo blkid
            This will show the devices and UUID numbers. Then edit your /etc/fstab file (as Super User) and change the /dev/sdx numbers to UUID= numbers. If you like to see the /dev/sdx numbers, just comment them out and they will still show. Here is mine for an example.

Code:
            # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
            #
            # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options>   <dump> <pass>
            proc      /proc     proc  defaults    0   0
            # /dev/sda1
            UUID=4947d60b-b181-4a7d-9c22-f4782ed7cb0a /       xfs  noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0   1
            # /dev/sda2
            UUID=6d870dce-d248-4ad8-b500-8c01e21d3ef9 /boot      ext3  defaults    0   2
            # /dev/sda3
            UUID=2d98b093-b312-4ef5-9dc8-bb8ff404277f /home     xfs  noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0   2
            # /dev/sda4
            UUID=8bd15bd5-04df-437c-b5f8-25897e5ea7b0 /media/sda4  xfs  noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0   2
            # /dev/sdb1
            UUID=1a1ffa9b-a8f6-43e9-bb1f-fbc32934018b /media/sdb1	 ext3	 defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro    0   2
            # /dev/sdc1
            UUID=92c0453f-2a35-40d5-8013-b8870ed66127 /media/sdc1  xfs  noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0   2
            # /dev/sdc2
            UUID=f4e36b39-af7d-475c-8990-b2093f558295 /media/sdc2  xfs  noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0   2
            # /dev/sdc3
            UUID=eba33247-0dbb-482c-9351-81505a953864 /media/sdc3  xfs  noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0   2
            # /dev/sdd2
            UUID=5df77414-98e4-4241-b696-00001ad57fc9 /media/sdd2  ext3  defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro    0   2
            # /dev/sdd3
            UUID=e11635ae-7dae-45fa-9372-bdc70ef9ec6b /media/sdd3  ext3  defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro    0   2
            # /dev/sde1
            UUID=e731c3cf-e2ff-4692-8353-ede2a3dcb85e /media/sde1  xfs  noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8    0   2
            # /dev/sdd1
            UUID=f292aef5-76a6-4455-a4e0-b760e43126e5 none      swap  sw       0   0
            /dev/scd0   /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0   0
            /dev/fd0    /media/floppy0 auto  rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0   0

Comment

Thanks dibl
              That fixed it, 10 days and no problems so far .
              Browsing through folders is mucher faster also.

Comment

Working...
              X