X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3B Audio Rip Problem

Greetings all.

I am using K3B to rip audio cd's, but for no apparent reason the rip function just stopped working. Everything else works, but when I put a audio cd in and select rip audio cd, it just sits there looking at me and does nothing.

I've removed and reinstalled k3b. I've removed and reinstalled all of KDE. Ive installed KDE4 and k3b still doesn't want to rip. So I've reinstalled KDE3 and reformatted the boot partition. Still it doesn't work.

The last cd I tried to rip when k3b went on the blink was a Sony copy protected cd. I didn't see the notice "Will not Play on a PC/MAC" on the cover. My data is on a different partition and all I can think is that whatever causes this lies somewhere there... but what is it and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
    Gwaap

Re: K3B Audio Rip Problem

Originally posted by gwaap
    I am using K3B to rip audio cd's, but for no apparent reason the rip function just stopped working. Everything else works, but when I put a audio cd in and select rip audio cd, it just sits there looking at me and does nothing.

I've removed and reinstalled k3b. I've removed and reinstalled all of KDE. Ive installed KDE4 and k3b still doesn't want to rip. So I've reinstalled KDE3 and reformatted the boot partition. Still it doesn't work.

The last cd I tried to rip when k3b went on the blink was a Sony copy protected cd. I didn't see the notice "Will not Play on a PC/MAC" on the cover. My data is on a different partition and all I can think is that whatever causes this lies somewhere there... but what is it and how do I fix it?
    The first thing I would do is make sure the (physical) CD drive is not broken. From what you've gone through, that looks like the only possibility left.
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

If you suspect that something in your user profile might be interfering, you can easily create a new temporary user for yourself and try ripping from there.

Other than that... there are other ripping programs you might want to try, like soundkonverter (actually quite good, can be forced to use cdparanoia), grip, kaudiocreator, etc. One of them could be a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by flying_icarus
        If you suspect that something in your user profile might be interfering, you can easily create a new temporary user for yourself and try ripping from there.

Other than that... there are other ripping programs you might want to try, like soundkonverter (actually quite good, can be forced to use cdparanoia), grip, kaudiocreator, etc. One of them could be a solution.
        It's not the physical drive - I've tried ripping with Kaudiocreator - that works fine, but I like k3b. Also writing disks is working fine.

Gwaap

Comment

Originally posted by flying_icarus
          Good, I've done that and k3b works properly in another user profile, so it is obviously something in my user profile - but what? and where do I look for it? and how do I change it?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Good, I've done that and k3b works properly in another user profile, so it is obviously something in my user profile - but what? and where do I look for it? and how do I change it?
            Is it an option for you to start from the clean slate? That is, to back up your current KDE profile and start over again? That would wipe out all your personal preferences, but it might be worth trying if it fixes your problem with k3b.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Originally posted by daihard

Is it an option for you to start from the clean slate? That is, to back up your current KDE profile and start over again? That would wipe out all your personal preferences, but it might be worth trying if it fixes your problem with k3b.
              Yes, you mean back up my data ans reinstall Kubuntu from start? Or just delete some personal preference file and replacing that with a "clean" personal preference file?

If it's the first, what's the point of moving away from that other computing platform?

If the latter, I'd like to try it, how do I go about it?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yes, you mean back up my data ans reinstall Kubuntu from start? Or just delete some personal preference file and replacing that with a "clean" personal preference file?

If it's the first, what's the point of moving away from that other computing platform?

If the latter, I'd like to try it, how do I go about it?
                I mean the latter. I wouldn't want you to take the trouble of reinstalling the whole OS. To back up your current KDE profile, you just move your ~/.kde (hidden) directory to somewhere else and restart KDE. That way, KDE will create a fresh profile (i.e. "clean slate").

If k3b starts fine that way, then there's something messed up in your KDE profile.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

If k3b starts fine that way, then there's something messed up in your KDE profile.
                  No, that didn't change anything the new kde file has the same problem (plus my emails and everything else is gone and xine in Amarok doesn't find any audio drivers - or something like that...

Strange, I've checked again when I create the dummy user account k3b works fine in the new account, KDE3 and KDE4. But on my everyday account I've just tried KDE4 also and that has the same problem as KDE3. I've written to the k3b user group to ask where k3b would write anything that affects the program's functioning, but no answer from them yet.

Thank you for your help - at least I'm learning something new even if it doesn't solve the problem directly.

Comment

No, that didn't change anything the new kde file has the same problem (plus my emails and everything else is gone and xine in Amarok doesn't find any audio drivers - or something like that...

Strange, I've checked again when I create the dummy user account k3b works fine in the new account, KDE3 and KDE4. But on my everyday account I've just tried KDE4 also and that has the same problem as KDE3. I've written to the k3b user group to ask where k3b would write anything that affects the program's functioning, but no answer from them yet.
                    That's really odd. I wish I could help you more, but I'm running out of ideas.

Thank you for your help - at least I'm learning something new even if it doesn't solve the problem directly.
                    Don't mention it. I hope someone jumps in here to help you out.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Working...
                    X