X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Kubuntu Grub Boot Loader

Hi All,

I ditched M$ Windows for Kubuntu about three months ago and wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I am wanting to change my Kubuntu boot loader but am not sure how to go about it, I did try playing around with Splashy but that failed miserably and didnt help that there seems to be a general lack of in depth notes on how to use Splashy around the net.

Does anyone have any idea on how to easily and as safely as possible change the boot loader?

Any idea, comments or links would be majorly appreciated

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Change Kubuntu Grub Boot Loader

Do you mean you want to remove GRUB and install some other bootloader?
    That's unusual, since GRUB is usually the best for Linux.
    If so, google on the name of the bootloader you wish to use.
    Check Herman's site for some, GAG, LILO, maybe some others:

Bigpond, home: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
    See his GRUB page or related.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

H Qqmike,

Thanks for replying.

I was under the impression that you could obain grub themes and swap between them, going by your reply I assume that this is not the case then?

I like to play customise where possible, if it is not just a case of swapping between themes I think I will leave it be then.

Comment

They're not really "themes", they're just splash images that you can find or make. Here's more:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088532.0

Comment

Thanks for that guys! I will take a look at that now 8)

Comment

Ah! smirnoff76, I see now. Makes more sense. Although, there's nothing wrong with changing GRUB to LILO or GAG or something, but in most cases, there's no net gain in doing so.

Pictures. Pretty pictures. Splash images.
            Follow dibl's topic and the links. Check out the reference to Herman's bigpond, too, given by dibl & et. al. If you like to customize, you'll have fun & some challenge messing with GRUB's splash images.

Welcome to the forum.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Cheers Qqmike, that link is spot on and will be having a good play when I get home

Comment

I can see some people are putting a [SOLVED] or *Solved* tag in their subject when the problem is solved. Why is this tag so rare?

How to tag:
                The author of the thread, must modify the first message by manually editing the subject title.

Of course.. I don't know if the author of this thread is satisfied with the answer ;-)

I think the [SOLVED] tag in the subject title would make the forum system more efficient for helping people who need help.

To all thread authors, consider using this tag. You can always start a new thread being more specific about an unanswered question, which rarely is the same as the original subject title.

Kubuntu 4 the win.
                Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
                CV and gallery at grn.dk
                Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Well, I know some of you will want to kill me, but, since SuSE has a cool one, you might also want to replace grub with gfxboot, a higly graphic scalable solution that is as easy as grub (mainly, it´s like a grub patched with more complex themes and stuff, try it.)

Just bumping though...

Comment

Working...
                  X