This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth Installation

I'm trying to get Google Earth to install by using "sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes googleearth" in the terminal. All goes well until I get "can't find package to install". Any ideas? Thanks,

Re: Google Earth Installation

Originally posted by chucar
    I'm trying to get Google Earth to install by using "sudo apt-get install -y --force-yes googleearth" in the terminal. All goes well until I get "can't find package to install". Any ideas? Thanks,
    Do you have the Medibuntu repository included in /etc/apt/sources.list? I blelieve you need it (as follows) in the file in order to install Google Earth.

Code:
    deb [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org/[/url] hardy free non-free
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Install it by going to the Google Earth Linux download site at Google here.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Install it by going to the Google Earth Linux download site at Google here.
        Just curious, are you in a position to not agree with the use of Medibuntu? Or is it simply because the installation via Adept + Medibuntu has had issues in the past when it comes to Google Earth?

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

I read this post & decided to install GE I have the medubuntu repo in my source list, I selected GE 4.3 in Adept. During the install adept asked for acceptance for the ula but I couldn't select the ok button from within adept. I crashed out & killed the process from the terminal & ran dpkg again & then I could select the ula acceptance buttons. 4.3 looks good but the maps for Australia are a good 4 years old, as I have moved a shed on my property in that time

Cary
          The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Originally posted by caryb
            I read this post & decided to install GE I have the medubuntu repo in my source list, I selected GE 4.3 in Adept. During the install adept asked for acceptance for the ula but I couldn't select the ok button from within adept. I crashed out & killed the process from the terminal & ran dpkg again & then I could select the ula acceptance buttons. 4.3 looks good but the maps for Australia are a good 4 years old, as I have moved a shed on my property in that time
            Didn't know you could choose 4.3... I simply ran "apt-get install googleearth," and it installed 4.2.

The maps for my neighbourhood has just been updated. Until then my entire subdivision was the woods.

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

If you like Google Earth, you'll really like the "Street View" function in Google Maps. Go To:

http://maps.google.com/maps

Put a street address in and click search, then click the "Street View" tab. Doesn't work everywhere, but they have most of the US covered and it's coverage is growing every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                If you like Google Earth, you'll really like the "Street View" function in Google Maps. Go To:

http://maps.google.com/maps

Put a street address in and click search, then click the "Street View" tab. Doesn't work everywhere, but they have most of the US covered and it's coverage is growing every day.
                I wonder if the Seattle area is covered? I don't see any tab named "Street View." The tabs I see are "Traffic," "More," "Map," "Satellite" and "Terrain." The "More" tab has "Photos" and "Wikipedia."

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

There's no button at the top of the map for "Street View"? There is on mine. I didn't even know I had it until I came in and my 8 year old grandson was playing with it on my computer. If the very small town I live in, in Northeast Colorado is mapped, I'm sure Seattle must be mapped. Wait a minute... that's where Bill Gates lives isn't it? Maybe that's the reason.

Comment

Well, I stand corrected. I just tried to open "Street View" and if you scroll the map to the West, the icon disappears about Salt Lake City. So it appears they have not done the West coast yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                      Wait a minute... that's where Bill Gates lives isn't it? Maybe that's the reason.
                      Honesty, that is a very convincing argument. Google vs. Microsoft... the fight goes on and on and on...

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Comment

Did the thread author get GE installed? ;-)

I can see some people are putting a [SOLVED] or *Solved* tag in their subject when the problem is solved. Why is this tag so rare?

How to tag:
                        The author of the thread, must modify the first message by manually editing the subject title.

Of course.. I don't know if the author of this thread is satisfied with the answer ;-)

I think the [SOLVED] tag in the subject title would make the forum system more efficient for helping people who need help.

To all thread authors, consider using this tag. You can always start a new thread being more specific about an unanswered question, which rarely is the same as the original subject title.

Kubuntu 4 the win.
                        Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
                        CV and gallery at grn.dk
                        Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Just thought I'd point out that its no longer necessary to install Google Earth as you can now get it through your browser as a plugin:
                          http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?.../05/30/1723225

Comment

That seems to be "Windows Only".

Comment

So it is. That's disappointing. I don't actually use Google Earth so I didn't really bother to go much beyond the headline.

Comment

Working...
                              X