X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add printer : Local Printer (Paralel, Serial, Usb) greyed out

Hi,

I haven't changed anything except for the latest kernel, and no my Canon Pixma IP3000, doesn't want to print anymore.

Nothing is wrong with the printer, it prints from Windows!

Can some one pls help?
    Thanx<br />Ryno<br /><br />Os = Kubuntu 9.10, Kde 4 dual boot with Win Xp<br />Linux user # 471903<br />Kubuntu user # 22225<br /><br />If you can see yourself as God does than you will have no limitations.

Re: Printer problems with new kernel

Originally posted by ryno
    Hi,

I haven't changed anything except for the latest kernel, and no my Canon Pixma IP3000, doesn't want to print anymore.

Nothing is wrong with the printer, it prints from Windows!
    This may be no help, but have you tried removing and re-installing the printer?
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Yes I did reinstall it, but still no go, I did pick up that the Device URL changed:
      Old : usb://Canon/iP3000
      New : canon:/dev/usb/lp0 (Cups + Gutenprint)

How can I find out manualy what the device Url is?

Tried again but nooo go

I have a Canon Pixma IP3000 USB printer.
      Thanx<br />Ryno<br /><br />Os = Kubuntu 9.10, Kde 4 dual boot with Win Xp<br />Linux user # 471903<br />Kubuntu user # 22225<br /><br />If you can see yourself as God does than you will have no limitations.

Comment

Just a thought, based on my USB connected printer and the problems I have accessing it.

Is your printer turned on and 'ready' before you boot into HH? What I've found, is that if the printer is turned off, I boot into HH, and later decide I need to print something, turning on the printer results in not being able to print. The print jobs are accepted, but the printer itself isn't being accessed.

What I've found, is that I have to have the printer turned on and indicating it's ready to accept jobs before I boot into the OS. Doing this, I have access to the printer, and print jobs print as expected.

What I think is happening, is that during the boot sequence, when the USB ports get polled, only connected devices that are powered are detected and logged for use. As a printer isn't a 'pluggable device' as are USB HDs, Thumb Drives, etc., turning it on after you have the OS up and running doesn't result in it being detected. And I have tried unplugging it after the OS was running, and plugging it back in. That doesn't get it to work either.

My thoughts on this are purely my own, but are based on observed behavior.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi

@ Snowhog : Thanx tried that, no luck, reinstalled the Cups files and drivers, now if I want to install the printer the following is presented:
          Sorry dont know how to add a window screenshot to the message!

Can you mabe help me on that one?

Comment

You've saved the screen shot you took? Assuming 'yes,' then when you post a reply, click on Additional Options... and click on the diskette icon (to the right of Attach: then browse to where you saved the image, click the image and the Ok button.

Comment

Re: Add printer : Local Printer (Paralel, Serial, Usb) greyed out

Hi
              @ Snowhog : I found something new regarding my problem.
              In the control center under the printers add the Local Printer (Paralel, Serial, Usb) option is grayed out.

How can I fix this?

Comment

Check my How To: Access Local printer (parallel, serial, USB) in Printer Wizard

Comment

Hi Snowhog,

Have tried that, was the same problem as all the other people that replied afterwards.

Uninstalled all the CUPs files with adept, now I sit with a command prompt, seems like it removed everything that used the CUPS files.

Do you have an easy way out of this one?

Comment

After a botched attempt to make my working local printer a network printer I had a similar problem. Printer found, installed, accepting job and processing jobs . . . and processing . . . and processing.
                    Printer wizard did not help because most, if not all, of the options were greyed out.

Attempts to remove and install the printer via system settings did not solve the problem.
                    Google for uninstall and re-install print server. Found a Ubuntu/Kubuntu site with detailed instructions on how to reinstall a print server.

Removed cpsys and cupsys-client (Adept shows cupsys-common or so).
                    Reinstalled with Adept. Also installed cupsys-bsd.

Then system settings, add printer. It found my printer, nothing was grayed out, printer working.

The best instructions for printer issues are here:

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/425
                    Also:
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu

And this site lead me to the links above:
                    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-616382.html

Hope it helps.

Comment

I forgot to mention that most of the fancy gimp stuff and related is not necessary. Adept/Synaptic has the up-to-date files. File names differ somewhat but the libraries and the necessary dependencies all come with the cupsys material in Adept.

Comment

One problem I stumbled across at least three times was that CUPS had been deselected. You should go to System Settings - Printers and near the bottom right make sure that "Print System Currently Used" is CUPS!
                        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Check out this link:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089184.0

In the second post of tomstrong you will find the modifications he made to the file "permissions.rules" .

In Hardy, this file is located under /etc/udev/rules.d

and the filename is "40-permissions.rules .

I made the modifications suggested and, after four weeks of not printing, the printer suddenly works like a charm!

I hope, you will have luck too!

Comment

Working...
                          X