This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

realplayer alternative? bbc

I'm using realpayer to listen to bbc radioplayer but i download the links using konqueror and then open them up in realplayer, that can be temperamental sometimes, but works. amarok and kaffeine can play the .ram steams but always cut out after a few minutes. realplayer works fine but as its proprietary software i was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative way to play BBC radio streams using Konqueror?
    cheers.

Re: realplayer alternative? bbc

Perhaps you could be more specific. I just tried to listen to BBC using Firefox 3 Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 and had no trouble using the BBC Iplayer. Have you tried that and it didn't work? Or do you just not like the I-player?

Comment

the iplayer is fine, after following the comunity documentation, i've got realplayer working in the bbc radio iplayer, but as realplayer is proprietary software is there any opensource altertative that can play the streams?

Comment

I don't have Realplayer on my computer. I play streams with gnome-mplayer (I use the plugin). They can be played with most Mplayer programs (mplayer, kmplayer, etc.). And there is an open source player (Helix) that is a duplication of Realplayer itself (look for helix in Adept).

Comment

Q. What is the difference between RealPlayer and Helix Player?

A. The Helix Player is a completely dual licensed, both open source (RPSL) and commercial community source (RCSL), media player and contains no non-open source components. It plays open source formats, like Ogg Vorbis and Theora.

The RealPlayer for Linux builds on top of the Helix Player and will include RealAudio, RealVideo, Windows Media, MP3, Flash, MPEG-4 (fee-based) and other non-open source components.

Q. What media types and protocols does the Helix Player support?
          A. The following media types and protocols are supported

Theora (content must be encoded with Alpha3 or greater)
          Vorbis
          Ogg
          Basic SMIL 2.0
          H263
          RealPix
          RAM and RPM playlist formats
          RTSP streaming with RTP
          HTTP streaming
          RealText
          RealEvents
          Uncompressed audio (wav, au, aiff)

Q. What media types does RealPlayer support?
          A. All media types supported by the Helix Player plus:

RealAudio, RealVideo
          MP3, Windows Media Audio[7-9], Windows Media Video 9
          MP4 audio (AAC unprotected only)
          Flash 4
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I find the that the radio player never works for me with Firefox. Instead I right click on the 'Listen using stand-alone Real Player' link and select 'Copy link location' Then in Realplayer do File > Open Location and hit ctrl-v to past in the url for the .ram file. No messing with Konqueror.

As someone else mention mplayer and it's variants will play the streams. I sometimes use mplayer to dump the streams and then convert them to mp3 so I can listen to them on my phone.

Comment

Working...
            X