X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE frozen after prolonged screen lock

Hi Guys!

First post so be gentle with me

I'm using Hardy with KDE 3.5.9 and a bug has come up which is driving me nuts and has only occurred since the upgrade from Kubuntu 7.10.

Basically, when I lock my screen (no fancy screensaver, just blank screen) overnight, I come back the following morning and have to reboot to get any work done. Note that this doesn't happen when I lock my screen for a lunch break etc, only longer periods.

Anyway, when unlocking after a long period, the machine is in this state:
    - One core of the CPU is at 100% (dual core machine)
    - Keyboard doesn't seem to work, although caps lock LED toggles etc
    - Mouse pointer moves, but clicks don't seem to work
    - Harddrive seems quite busy
    - Any windows on the screen are missing their titlebars and window surrounds (there is just a black mask around the area where these would be)

I've tried changing the window decor in case that was causing it (first thought since this was the thing that was vanishing into a black mask) but that didn't help. Also, when I ctrl-alt-f1 to leave KDE and get a console, I can run top and see that X is the process taking 100%.

Anyone got any ideas on this? It's really driving me crazy! Like I said, it's only happened since upgrading to 8.04.

Thanks in advance.

Re: KDE frozen after prolonged screen lock

Just to let everyone know that this issue seems to have been fixed after the latest upgrade with the 2.6.24-17 kernel.

One thing I have noticed now that I'm not having to reboot daily is something seems to be leaking memory like a sieve. This morning my machine had used all it's swap; when I left it last night, it had plenty of free memory and no swap used. Hopefully a few further upgrades will address this.

Comment

Re: KDE frozen after prolonged screen lock

Hmm you could try "Runaway Process Catcher" which is an applet you can add to the KDE Panel. It can find the bad guy.. maybe..
      Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
      CV and gallery at grn.dk
      Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Working...
      X