Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardy: (1) Can't install parport printer (2) Can't set static IP addr (3) Strigi

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardy: (1) Can't install parport printer (2) Can't set static IP addr (3) Strigi

1) I'm trying to install printers via CUPS on a Dell Optiplex GX280: HP Laserjet 4L on parallel port, and OfficeJet G85 on USB. Initially they both worked, then they stopped working. Tried deleting and reinstalling; now the "local parallel/USB" choice in the KDE install wizard is grayed out. Tried via CUPS directly (i.e., http://localhost:631); the USB G85 was detected and installed, but could not print a test page. Couldn't figure out how to specify the interface for the parallel port (parallel:/dev/parport0?). Can anyone give me a workaround?

2) My NIC is the Intel onboard chipset. DHCP works OK, but when I tried to specify a static IP address and a gateway via the KDE System Settings app, the NIC is not configured, and the routing table doesn't show a gateway entry. I can configure both manually using ifconfig and route, but the values are not saved across a reboot. What's going on?

3) Is there a way I can get rid of this Strigi thing and revert to the previous KDE "Find Files.." applet?

Re: Hardy: (1) Can't install parport printer (2) Can't set static IP addr (3) Strigi

3. sudo apt-get remove strigi
    I have no experience with other find tools other than commandline 'locate' which is installed by default.
    Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

Re: Hardy: (1) Can't install parport printer (2) Can't set static IP addr (3) St

Right. Got rid of strigi,and anyway I've been using command-line "find" for years. What I was asking is, is there some way of reverting to the KDE "find files" menu item that was in the distro prior to Strigi (this is probably more of a KDE question)?

I could just do everything from the command line, including setting up a startup script that will set my IP address using ifconfig and the default gateway using route. But I thought the whole idea was to get away from that. Again, this is starting to sound like more of a KDE question.

As for the printers, I guess this is really a CUPS issue - that it stopped recognizing my local ports. But one new item of info - I think the printers quit working AFTER I did my first online post-install update. Is that useful?

Comment

Re: Hardy: (1) Can't install parport printer (2) Can't set static IP addr (3) Strigi

Your printer problem might be related to this post.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...6277#msg106277

Comment

Re: Hardy: (1) Can't install parport printer (2) Can't set static IP addr (3) St

Thank you, Floyd. It worked. I brought up /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules in an editor, and changed the "#Printers and Parallel Devices" section to read as follows:

SUBSYSTEM=="printer", OWNER="lp", GROUP="lp"
          #was: SUBSYSTEM=="printer", GROUP="lp"
          SUBSYSTEM=="ppdev", GROUP="lp"
          SUBSYSTEM=="usb", KERNEL=="lp[0-9]*", MODE="0660", OWNER="lp", GROUP="lp"
          #was: SUBSYSTEM=="usb", KERNEL=="lp[0-9]*", GROUP="lp"
          KERNEL=="pt[0-9]*", GROUP="tape"
          KERNEL=="pht[0-9]*", GROUP="tape"

Deleted both printers to start. Tried the new-printer-install wizard in System Settings, and the radiobutton for local parallel/serial/USB was still grayed out. Rebooting fixed that. Now it actually saw both printers out there, and even auto-installed the USB printer!

So that clears up roughly half my problems. Whenever I reboot I still have to open a command window and enter
          sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.170
          sudo route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1
          to set up my static IP and gateway, because the Network panel on the System Settings screen doesn't seem to do it, and my manual settings don't "stick" across a reboot. But the printing solution makes me wonder now - could this be another udev permissions issue?

Comment

Is that IP address available in your router? You need to choose an IP address that does not fall withing the addresses the router reserves for DHCP. For example, most routers will start at 192.168.1.100 for DHCP assignment and go up from there. I have all my computers set with static IP's starting at 192.168.1.10 and going up from there. This places them outside the DHCP range of addresses.

Comment

Yes, my router is a Linksys BEFSR81that uses 100 to 150, and I'm setting the Hardy box to 170.

Back to the printer issue: I have another machine, a Thinkpad T20 running Gutsy, and it can't connect via Samba to the two printers I just installed on the Hardy box. I also have two Win98 machines on the same net, and they see the printers just fine.

I also have filesharing issues. I've set up directories "/datashare" on the Hardy and Gutsy boxes. The Win98 machines can see them and even write to them, but both Kubuntu machines are unable to see any files. The Hardy machine at least sees the individual machines, but the Gutsy guy doesn't see anything on the workgroup. I think I'm going to have to go through smb.conf like a trial lawyer to figure out what's misconfigured.

Comment

Status report:
                1) Printer problem solved by edit to udev file.
                2) No solution yet - I may have to write a startup script after all.
                3) Removed Strigi, found "Find" as an optional KDE Menu item and restored it.

Thanks again to "Detonate" for the help.

Comment

2) Network System Settings is beyond belief bad: I could never get static IPs working in it either. Try it in kcontrol. Or do it manually by editing /etc/network/interfaces. Here's what mine looks like:

Code:
                  # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
                  # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
                  auto lo
                  iface lo inet loopback
                  address 127.0.0.1
                  netmask 255.0.0.0

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
                  # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
                  auto eth0

# The primary network interface
                  iface eth0 inet static
                      network 10.0.0.0
                      broadcast 10.255.255.255
                      # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
                      dns-nameservers 127.0.0.1
                      address 10.0.0.5
                      netmask 255.0.0.0
                      gateway 10.0.0.1

#auto dsl-provider
                  iface dsl-provider inet ppp
                  provider dsl-provider

pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
                  Obviously yours will be different since I'm using dns caching (127.0.0.1). I'm surprised that old pppoe stuff is still in there though.

After changing it, you can restart the network by:
                  sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Comment

And this is mine. Works fine with my Linksys router. I don't use DNS Caching.

Code:
                    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
                    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
                    auto lo
                    iface lo inet loopback
                    address 127.0.0.1
                    netmask 255.0.0.0

# The primary network interface
                    auto eth0
                    #iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth0 inet static
                    address 192.168.1.10
                    netmask 255.255.255.0
                    gateway 192.168.1.1

Comment

Thanks again. I checked my /etc/network/interfaces, and it was like both of yours except that the line
                      "auto eth0"
                      was missing. I just added it, and I'm about to reboot to make some other mods effective. If I'm not posting back here, you'll know it worked.

Comment

Working...
                      X