This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extract/install Firefox

This isn't exactly a new topic--similar to the topic by Mechanism. However, different enough to warrant a new topic status. I downloaded Firefox, and I want to extract (please help as to how) the file, I guess to my Desktop. Then I want to install Firefox (directory unknown--likely someplace in /bin?)

Thanks,
    theAdmiral

Re: extract/install Firefox

Depends on whether you have 64 bit or 32 bit installed? at the shell type "uname -a" if you have something like this "2.6.24-17-generic #1 SMP Thu May 1 13:57:17 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux" it will be 64 bit & it goes in /usr/lib64/firefox otherwise if it is 32 bit (most likely) it will go in the /usr/lib/firefox directory.

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I have the firefox *.tar.gz file in usr/lib. Is that where it is supposed to be?

How do I extract it, please? (Details would be helpful).

Thanks,
      theAdmiral

Comment

Dumb question but why do you have a tar file for your firefox install? you can install it from adept & get all dependencies met.

Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

The reason that I had Firefox as a tar.gz is because I downloaded thinking that I did not have the browser bundled with the OS. At any rate, thanks for the tip.

theAdmiral

Comment

If you have not already discovered, Konqueror is the browser installed with Kubuntu. Installing Firefox is a simple as clicking the K Menu icon and selecting System > Adept Manager and typing in your password. Then, click on Adept > Manage Repositories > Third-Party Software and ensure that the non-free repository entry is checked.

To install Thunderbird, search for thunderbird, click on the blue > and click on Request Install and Apply Changes

After Thunderbird is installed, you may have to restart before it appears in the K Menu (under Internet).
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X