This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.04 and tightvnc server

I loaded tightvncserver on 8.04 and KDE4.
    I edited the xstartup file in the $HOME/.vnc to include "start kde &" just as I have done with 7.10 and KDE3 in the past.
    When I connect from a remote XP system, all I get is a grey screen with only a small terminal window.
    If I type "start kde" in the terminal window, I get a momentary KDE logo, then only the grey screen again. What has changed between 8.04 & KDE4 and the previous rev? Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 and tightvnc server

Originally posted by cps22
    I loaded tightvncserver on 8.04 and KDE4.
    I edited the xstartup file in the $HOME/.vnc to include "start kde &" just as I have done with 7.10 and KDE3 in the past.
    When I connect from a remote XP system, all I get is a grey screen with only a small terminal window.
    If I type "start kde" in the terminal window, I get a momentary KDE logo, then only the grey screen again. What has changed between 8.04 & KDE4 and the previous rev? Any help greatly appreciated.
    Just making sure here... you mean "startkde" (one word), correct?
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Yes, startkde was one word.

Once connected, all I seem to get is a blank grey screen with a terminal window.
      I've done some experimenting. This seems to occur with both the gnome and KDE4 interface on 8.04.

Comment

One more note to add.....
        I reinstalled 8.04 with KDE3 and still have the same symptoms.
        After VNC connects, only a terminal window is displayed on a blank grey screen.

Comment

Working...
        X