Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Into What Directory Should New Programs Be Installed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Into What Directory Should New Programs Be Installed?

I have a new program that I want to install. It comes with its very own installer which, during the installation routine, prompts me for an "Installation Folder". Where should I install it? /usr or /root or some other folder? The program does not seem to care where it is installed but I'm sure there are preferred methods and I want to follow those methods.

Thanks!

Mike
    sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Re: Into What Directory Should New Programs Be Installed?

I think I'd first try /home/mechanism/new_program, just to be sure you really want it. It doesn't sound very "normal", for Linux -- it sounds a whole lot like a Windows program.

I think the executables for Linux packages normally end up at either /bin or /usr/bin, but I wouldn't risk my system with a package that behaves so strangely.

Comment

Anything that is self compiled should ideally go into /usr/local

You may have to change permissions to give yourself easier access to it. Binaries will be in /usr/local/bin and sourcecode packages can me compiled in /usr/local/src

This is very handy as it enables multiple versions of libraries or applications to be installed on the system, allowing you to specify at time of compilation which library to use.

There is also /opt for optional which is also available for extra stuff, though this is not usually a PATH on debian based systems. You could also have /home/<username>/bin and run stuff from there though this can conceivably be a bit dangerous.

Modified to add:

there are no hard and fast rules, but its best to stick to a single place (/usr/local in my case) else you will find your system getting clogged up with lots of stuff, cruft it is called. Also if you need to update or change something, its a lot easier to find.

Comment

What program, and where/how did you obtain it? I'm assuming it wasn't through the repositories (i.e., via Adept Manager).
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nope, not through the repositories. It's a program that you (snowhog) helped me install a few months ago. There have been a few updates in the program here and there but they seemed to make my program run slower and it became problematic. It requires Java to run and has its own installer. The program ishttp://jlog.org/] jLog http://jlog.org/[/url] which is an Amateur Radio logging program.

I have uninstalled it and will attempt to reinstall it for the second or third time now.

Ah, a question just popped into my mind. This program does not automatically place an icon on my desktop nor in the K-menu. Where would one find the icon that launches the program? (I'm getting déjà vu).

Mike
          sudo make me rich<br /><br />Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10<br />KDE 3.5<br />Compaq Presario 5000<br />Intel Celeron 1.2 Ghz<br />512 Ram, Riva TNT2 Video Card<br />All the above hardware is 7 year old junk but<br />Linux runs great on it.&nbsp; :&gt<br />Ham Radio Rules

Comment

Originally posted by mechanism
            This program does not automatically place an icon on my desktop nor in the K-menu. Where would one find the icon that launches the program? (I'm getting déjà vu).

Mike
            The program is launched through Konqueror if I remember correctly, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              I think I'd first try /home/mechanism/new_program, just to be sure you really want it. It doesn't sound very "normal", for Linux -- it sounds a whole lot like a Windows program.

I think the executables for Linux packages normally end up at either /bin or /usr/bin, but I wouldn't risk my system with a package that behaves so strangely.
              In my experience, many of the multi-platform applications (often written in Java) come with an installer that asks where you want the program to be installed. Defaults I've seen include /usr/local, /opt, and /home/username (the last case when you run the install as yourself, not root).

I usually place all the non-deb programs under /opt and if necessary, symlink the executable to /home/dtoyama/bin.
              Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
              Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Ah, a question just popped into my mind. This program does not automatically place an icon on my desktop nor in the K-menu. Where would one find the icon that launches the program? (I'm getting déjà vu).
                If its java and you want a desktop icon the easy way is, assuming KDE3.x.x is right click on the deskop and Create New --> Link to application. Under the Application tab, enter in the command box 'java /path/to/wherever/it/is/nameofapp'

That should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  This program does not automatically place an icon on my desktop nor in the K-menu. Where would one find the icon that launches the program? (I'm getting déjà vu).

Mike
                  The program is launched through Konqueror if I remember correctly, yes?
                  It can be but I actually made a link on my desktop to a file that launched it. I just can't remember where that file is (was) (will be with the new install based on what directory I install it in)

Comment

Back in January, when you and I were first working on this, and you had jlog installed, the directory I pointed you to was usr/share/TrustedQSL/help/tqslapp/main.htm

Comment

Ok, sorry for the long delay in responding but I have been working on this and have not made much progress. Basically, I've decided to install jLog in /usr/jLog directory. The program requires Java (Java Runtime Environment) and according to Adept, I have Java installed. So, I install jLog and click the icon on my desktop to launch it and I get error messages.

So, I made a few images of the errors and uploaded them to a web album for all to see. Please, if you can decipher this and help me get this running I'd be most appreciative - again.

Here's the link:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/mrmsudaw...gInstallErrors

Comment

Working...
                      X