This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xvkbd and kdm-kde4

I have a problem. I have a tablet PC that I just put a fresh install of 8.04 after being very happy with 7.10.

All my hardware works but I can't click on xvkbd in kdm, not with the tablet"s nor with a mouse. KDM responds just fine to the pen tps but it is as though the onscreen keyboard has loaded behind kdm but that part of kdm is transparent so xvkbd is visible but not focusable. I have both KDE3 and KDE4, how do switch back to kdm instead of kdm-kde4?

Thanks in advance.

Re: xvkbd and kdm-kde4

I would also like to know how to configure kdm4 or switch back to kdm. On Gentoo I did some /etc/conf.d/xdm and put in my choice here. How is this done on kubuntu?

Comment

You can customize kdm4 by editing files in /usr/lib/kde4/etc/kde4/kdm

In my case I loaded xvkbd by editing Xsetup but xvkbd is not clickable until I log in thus defeating the purpose. I tried to get xvkbd to work so that I could log into my tablet PC without a keyboard, but it does not work, in kdm it did work. In kdm-kde4, the onscreen keyboard is visible but it does not respond to any clicks regardless of whether the clicks come from a mouse or the touchscreen.

Comment

How to configure which kdm to use:
        /etc/X11/default-display-manager
        - put in the bin-path for instance /usr/bin/kdm to use kde3

Comment

Awesome!, thanks for the info.

Comment

Now that I have xvkbd working in kdm, where is the proper place to put:
            killall xvkbd
            Would /etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup be the right place? Is Xstarup executed upon successful login (Since once logged in I prefer kvkbd)?

Thanks in advance.
            Oh, and I would still like to be able to use kdm-kde4 if someone can address the original problem.

Comment

Working...
            X