This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.0.4 (Title Amended)

Just thought I'd say that having downloaded the latest updates in the last few days KDE 4 is looking pretty impressive. Apart from some minor niggles it is very stable and I intend to use it all the time from now on. Roll on 4.1

Re: KDE 4.0.5

Originally posted by tomp01

Just thought I'd say that having downloaded the latest updates in the last few days KDE 4 is looking pretty impressive. Apart from some minor niggles it is very stable and I intend to use it all the time from now on. Roll on 4.1
    Meh - tried it myself, find the lack of flexibility intolerable. And I *hate* *hate* the new K menu.

Plasma Widgets? bleh.

Comment

You can always add the traditional menu to the panel via widgets or wait for Raptor and Lancelot.

Comment

You can always add the traditional menu to the panel via widgets.
        Trouble is its crippled compared to the 3.5 menu - can't right click items on it to add to the desktop or panel. Not sure if you can edit it either.

wait for Raptor and Lancelot
        Not familiar with them?

Comment

Make sure you have kmenuedit installed. It'll give you the ability to edit the menu. All and All, I found the new KMenu some what similar to Tasty Menu, which I used under 3.5.9, and have grown use to it.

Comment

Something that's hampering my testing of kde4 is getting it to work over nxserver. My test machine is only accessible remotely and has a base Hard install with KDE3. I added kde4 via apt (kubuntu-kde4-desktop backports) and can choose kde4 as the session when logging on at the console.

But when I connect via nxclient it only launches a KDE3 session - haven't figured out how to change that.

Comment

I'm sure that KDE3 will be around for a while longer, but it IS going the way of the Dodo Bird...

KDE4 is the future. My install still has a couple of minor issues, but by being an "early adopter" I'm able to be in at the ground floor and help in the progress. It also benefits me directly - if i were to wait until KDE4 was perfect before I really tried it... it would be a steep learning curve then. Once KDE4.1 comes out I don't expect to see very many distro's using KDE3.

Though I'm not a fan of the new menu, using it along side the "traditional" menu widget has become normal for me. I get everything done that I need to. Truly, how often do you edit your KMenu anyway? If it were a daily event I'd understand that being a reason not to get to know KDE4 but are you really editing it THAT often?

I'm not trying to tell you what to do... who am I to do such a thing? But the desktop IS working very well now. I don't know anyone who's become familiar with KDE4 that spends any ammount of time in KDE3 anymore. Not that I know thousands of people... but you know what I mean.

I do hope this helps,
              Kev

Comment

I'm with Blackpaw I have to say. I really like what I've seen so far, but flexibility is key. My KDE 3.5.9 setup is "just right" now, and until simple things like adding icons to the panel (and reorganising them) are sorted in 4.x, I'm not too pushed on spending all of the time it would take to get KDE4 doing what I want it to.

I do suspect that if I have the time to put in I'd be happy to use it as my normal desktop though. It seems both quick and fairly stable, and I like the look so much I have KDE3 emulating it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw
                  Trouble is its crippled compared to the 3.5 menu - can't right click items on it to add to the desktop or panel. Not sure if you can edit it either.

Not familiar with them?

I am able to right click and add icons onto the panel, from the KMenu, so I don't understand that complaint.

Comment

[quote=tomp01 ]

Not familiar with them?

I am able to right click and add icons onto the panel, from the KMenu, so I don't understand that complaint.

Lancelot and Raptor

Comment

[quote=tomp01 ]

Not familiar with them?

Lancelot and Raptor
                      http://raptor-menu.org/
                      http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/main

Comment

WTH
                        Where did you get 4.0.5? My adept dosen't finds it and I have everything enabled from restricted to unsuported to prerelease repos...
                        I know I have to enable Kubuntu backports, but I don't find on any site any info about 4.0.5 at all.
                        I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

I thought the same. but the Title of this thread is 4.0.5. I just figured it was a typo.

Comment

Phew! I was cursing the Intrepid team for letting Hardy have a new KDE4 version before us in a LTS release but by the looks of the previous post it is all FUD

Cary
                            The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Originally posted by caryb
                              Phew! I was cursing the Intrepid team for letting Hardy have a new KDE4 version before us in a LTS release but by the looks of the previous post it is all FUD

Cary
                              OK, my bad. I meant 4.0.4

Comment

Working...
                              X