X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change default window manager

Hello folks,

Just like to say hello to you all as I am a Linux newbie.

I have now took the jump from Windows to Linux after finally getting fed up with Windows.

Took a while to try all distros so I knew where to settle and Kubuntu it was

Getting to do most things that I need and upset the girl friend by putting Kubuntu on my desktop.

Question is how do I and what file do I change so that my kubuntu boots with KDE4 without having to choose that option on the login screen.

I know with Knoppix I can enter knoppix desktop=kde4 at the boot prompt.

Thanks

Chris

Re: How to change default window manager

Hi!

There are three steps you can take:

1) install kde4 enviroment, if you haven't allready, by selecting to install the package kubuntu-kde4-desktop in a package manager (adept) or, typing in a command prompt:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop
    2) This should download and install all of kde4, including the kde4 login manager. It is somewhat buggy for me (no wallpaper in 4.0.4 version), so you can allways (re)choose the kde3 login manager which still works ok, by typing in a command prompt:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    3) Whatever login manager you have, you only have to choose a different enviroment after selecting (or typing in) your username, but before actually pressing the button "log in" - kde3 and kde4 login managers will remember your choice for the future (untill you change it again). Just click on button "sessions" (maybe menu->sessions, or just keyboard Alt+t)before logging in and choose the one you like. You can install many different enviroments and switch between them like this, including xfce4, gnome, and more.

P.S. If you are just starting with Linux, maybe KDE3 is a better choice as it is more stable, faster and has more stuff, KDE4 is prettier and nicer but does have glitches still. I prefer it, but still, it can be a nuissance sometimes.

Comment

Cheers flying_icarus that worked a treat, so are all window managers installed in this way?

Well I am going to dabble with this for just now. I promised my self to get into the guts of this before I bothered with eye candy but I'm only human.

Already starting to enjoy this Kubuntu learning curve

Chris

Comment

Welcome to the party

When you chose one desktop at login that choice will stay as default until you choose another.

I have been using kde4 95% since jan. but still boot into kde3 once in while for some stuff which are just to buggy in kde4. (Like ark).
        So it is a good idea to have both handy when needed.

Enjoy
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by greenock_lad2000
          Cheers flying_icarus that worked a treat, so are all window managers installed in this way?
          Almost... There is a slight difference between a "window manager" and a "desktop enviroment". A window manager is a narrow term (i.e. in KDE it's called kwin), while desktop enviroments have additional programs and utilities bundled with them.

So there are window managers which do not come with complete desktop enviroments, because they aim to be either simple or lightweight, examples are fluxbox, icewm, windowmaker and other. They are installed with apt as well, and chosen as a session too, but they do not have an (k)ubuntu-desktop metapackage associated with them, they are usually just a couple of small packages.

Well I am going to dabble with this for just now. I promised my self to get into the guts of this before I bothered with eye candy but I'm only human.

Already starting to enjoy this Kubuntu learning curve
          I'm glad you are. Just take it slow, this was easy, but there will be times which won't be.

Comment

Working...
          X