This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kopete and URLs [SOLVED]

I have an issue in that when I get a URL link from someone in a chat window (I only use MSN) and I click on the link, it opens a brand new Firefox window and two tabs with the link. Needless to say I want the link opening in an existing Firefox window and only opening up one new tab.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Re: Kopete and URLs

Originally posted by finifly
    I have an issue in that when I get a URL link from someone in a chat window (I only use MSN) and I click on the link, it opens a brand new Firefox window and two tabs with the link. Needless to say I want the link opening in an existing Firefox window and only opening up one new tab.
    That's a Firefox issue. I'd check the Tabs preference and make sure the new page is configured to open in a new tab, not a new window. That assumes you're using Firefox 2. I'm not sure if it's the same with Firefox 3.
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

I am using FF2 and the preferences are to open all links in a new tab.
      Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Just an update here...

I have two computers running Kubuntu. The one running Gutsy does not have this problem. It opens the link in an open FF window. This is only happening with my Hardy machine.

Comment

Hardy. KDE 3.5.9 or are you running KDE 4?
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by finifly
            Just an update here...

I have two computers running Kubuntu. The one running Gutsy does not have this problem. It opens the link in an open FF window. This is only happening with my Hardy machine.
            This probably won't help, but I've just tried opening a link inside kopete, and it correctly opens a new tab in the existing Firefox window. The behaviour is the same with both FF2 and FF3 for me.

Can you open "KDE Control Center" (kcontrol), choose "KDE Components" --> "Default Applications," choose "Web Browser" from the list box and tell us what you have in the "Default Component" group box? You should have "in the following browser" checked, and the edit box below should simply say "firefox."
            Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
            Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Hardy. KDE 3.5.9 or are you running KDE 4?
              KDE 3.5.9

Can you open "KDE Control Center" (kcontrol), choose "KDE Components" --> "Default Applications," choose "Web Browser" from the list box and tell us what you have in the "Default Component" group box? You should have "in the following browser" checked, and the edit box below should simply say "firefox."
              In Hardy, the FF2 command is 'firefox-2', so that is what is in there. the 'firefox' command is for FF3 which I do not have installed.

Comment

Fixed it...

I had under the default browser command 'firefox-2 %u' (copied and pasted the command from the kicker menu). I took out the %u and now it's all good. Thank you everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X