This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3 middle mouse button error

Some help would be great for this uber newbie to Linux.

I get this error if I middle mouse click over any space in a Firefox window that isn't a URL, given I regularly bump this button or click it when trying to scroll, is there any way I might be able to stop it ?

Cheers in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Firefox 3 middle mouse button error

OK, it seems like the middle mouse button is actually acting as a shortcut for paste. So this problem only happens once I have something stored in the clip board.

Middle mouse clicking over an empty field pastes the text, middle mouse clicking over a URL opens it. Middle mouse clicking over neither on a web page causes the error attached above.

Comment

Hi
      I think this is the default function of middle mouse clicking for Klipper.
      You can disable it:
      in the urlbar
      about:config and change to false the
      middlemouse.paste option.

Comment

Many thanks, that's got it

Comment

Originally posted by thorekk
          Hi
          I think this is the default function of middle mouse clicking for Klipper.
          A bit off-topic, but I believe it is the default behaviour of X Window itself, not just KDE.

I personally can't live without this feature. It's so much easier to just highlight text to copy and middle-click to paste, than it is to press <Ctrl + C> / <Ctrl + V> to copy/paste.
          Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
          Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Firefox has a 'feature' where middle-clicking will open the selection in as though it were a URL. To disable this, what you actually want to set in about:config is middlemouse.contentLoadURL to false.
            I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Working...
            X