This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAN'T INSTALL MYTHTV ON HARDY KUBUNTU WITH KDE4

Hello ... I have tried installing MYTHTV on a KDE4 KUBUNTU 8.04 clean install about 6 times now. I install 8.04 I install about 35 updates ... I select install KUBUNTU Restricted packages .. I test my two tuners they work great !!!! ADAPTEC 2410's I make sample captures that play in Dragon Player. I select install MYTHTV FRONTEND from add software. (Description indicates it is a combined FRONTED/BACKEND download)

The download completes .. the install starts ... gets to about 7% then stops... I hit the more details button and it is frozen on a screen asking for a MYSQL password. I can't enter past that screen, which I believe is what I want to do. I can't type anything into the box either. I have to X out of the package manager which corrupts its database .. which leads me to reformat my system ... download updates ... download KUBUNTU restricted download MYTHTV and the same problem again..

Anyone installed MYTHTV on KUBUNTU 8.04 or any idea what I am missing ?

Thanks

Re: CAN'T INSTALL MYTHTV ON HARDY KUBUNTU WITH KDE4

Don't use Adept to install it. Adept struggles if package installers actually require input. Install it from the commandline:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install <packagename>
    Also, there is no need to reinstall your whole system to solve an error like the one you encountered - Linux isn't Windows.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    will help you out - it will also get you back to the screen that asks for a MySQL username/password.

I haven't installed MythTV from the packages (I use the "bleeding-edge" SVN version from source), but I might be able to help you again if you come across any Myth problems. It can be a pain to set up but it's worth it!

Comment

Thanks

I will try installing from the command line when I get home. I have used Myth for about 8 months with two Adaptec 2410s, with Multiple frontends and I really enjoy it .. I got a 500 gig hard drive and a pinnacle HDTV tuner ... So I thought I would UPGRADE my setup with all the latest .....

Comment

I'd recommend adding the mythbuntu weekly fixes repo (http://mythbuntu.org/auto-builds) and installing the mythbuntu-control-centre

Code:
        sudo apt-get install mythbuntu-control-centre
        Then run the Mythbuntu Control Center (Settings menu) us it to install the rest of myth - set your machine role to front and backend.

I actually did that on a fresh install last night, took about 30 minutes from woah to go.

Comment

Working...
        X